Chapter 17

James.

He wasn't just a butler to Diana. He became her friend, her rock, her strength, and perhaps more. She no longer knew what he was.

He had undressed her, seen her naked, and slept on the same bed with her since that night and many more after when her guilt and nightmares over Leyla's death disturbed her sleep. Sometimes she went to his bedroom and curled next to him till he reached out and took her in. He had been there for her whenever she needed him.

Diana eyed him watering some plants in the garden about ten metres away from where she sat. He looked cute and surprisingly adorable. Despite his arrogant and rapid sarcasm that he threw at her on daily basis, James had a gentle heart she had noticed. More like a very hurt and broken heart. She often asked him but he never told her and always tried to distract her by changing the topic of their conversation.

She adjusted her seat, resting her legs over the rattan long chair, enjoying the warm morning sun that hit the porch. She heard Janice humming a song from her homeland and Elena walking around with her duster. A beautiful Sunday morning apparently, everyone was happy, and James was happy too. No sarcasm so far and he'd been nice like an angel since that night. Diana couldn't ask for more.

"Why don't you just haul him onto your bed right now Sweetie?" Nana whispered in her ear, breaking her daydream. She joined her granddaughter with a mug of black coffee in her hand. "I promise I won't tell a single soul." She took an empty chair, sat and sighed contently.

"Nana!"

"Besides we all know you sneaked into his room often, no need to feel embarrassed... "

"Nana! You know we didn't do anything. Just sleeping. Okay... "

"I don't care what you do in there Sweetie, both of you are adults. He's hot isn't he? Why can't you just ditch Patrick and go out with this one instead?"

"Why can't you mind your own business Nana?" Diana rolled her eyes.

"I am serious Sweetie, I don't like Patrick. Take this one."

"Nana, it's not that simple." Diana moved backward so she could lean to her grandma and whispered to her ear. She didn't want James to hear what they were talking about.

"It is that simple. I know this one is better than Patrick." Nana whispered back, her eyes didn't leave the subject of their conversation.

"In what sense?" Diana became curious, she wanted to know what her usually-wise Nana thought about James but her reply shocked her.

"Let see... Hmm..... that butt, that chest, those blue eyes......"

"Nana, oh my god! I don't believe you just said that. Are you ogling at him?"

"Everyday sweetie, everyday. We all are." She sipped her coffee.

"Who is we?"

"That one." Nana raised her mug and pointed out Elena who dusted an empty air just above the antique vase. She was watching James outside.

"Janice had a fight with him this morning. So she is hiding in the kitchen now... "

"Oh god... " Diana tapped her forehead. "You're all cougars... "

"He's way better than Patrick, he knows you inside out yet he's still here, I bet other boys wouldn't. "

"He is my butler for god's sake." She hissed.

"Oh, are you too good for a butler now?" Nana looked upset.

"No, of course not! The point is, Dad must have paid him well that he wants to stay."