Five

There were people everywhere, I felt incredibly claustrophobic as we made our way closer to the bonfire. Brysen was walking with Dimitri, talking about sports. Meanwhile Jocelyn was with the other three and I was left to fend for myself. The heat of the fire warmed me up quickly, making me almost sweat. I definitely didn't need a jumper of any sorts.

I looked through the growing crowd for Brysen in particular, even though he was exceptionally tall I couldn't see him towering above anyone, he was no where to be seen. Had it even been ten minutes? I felt my hand shaking as I began to panic, I stood there surrounded by strangers not being able to breath. Not the ideal night out.

Just as I started to get really hot and dizzy I spotted Dimitri parting the crowd slightly. I ran to him as fast as I could, crashing into him once reaching him. Expecting him to yell at me for being so reckless he stopped and stared at me, worry in his eyes.

"Bexley?" He released the hand he was holding and moved to hold me up as my legs started to give way. I never did well in crowds. "Sorry beautiful, I gotta get my friend somewhere real quick." Dimitri said, slowly starting to move away from the girl he was with. He helped me down onto the sand a good twenty metres from the large crowd and sat beside me, staying quiet. The sun was just going down, reflecting off the water in a calming way. I felt my heartbeat return to normal. I slipped my sandals off my feet and gently buried my toes under the sand, allowing myself to completely calm down.

"We've finally graduated." Dimitri said after a few moments of silence between the two of us. I nodded my head and let out a short and soft laugh. It didn't feel like it quite yet. "Can you believe it? Last week we were saying our good byes to all our teachers and classmates. If it weren't for this trip I would've said good bye to all of you too." Dimitri sighed and put his head in his hands. "I have to leave home, I can't stay there any longer." I remained quiet, allowing him to just talk. It wasn't often that one got Dimitri talking. "My dad abuses my sister, it's disgusting really. I have to get her out of there too. My mum left us when I was seven, my dad was furious. He turned to drinking, smoking and taking drugs. He totally changed." I sucked in a deep breath, really feeling sorry for the under appreciated young man beside me. "He killed my younger brother three days after my mum left, he was only two."

"Dimitri, I never would've guessed." I leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, willing myself not to cry.

"No one does, I guess that's my fault for being so blocked off."

"Does Brysen know?" I questioned, careful not to pry too much.

"He wouldn't understand, he has the perfect life. Both parents happy as ever, rich as shit." Dimitri picked up a rock and threw it out towards the water.

"He's not shallow though." I pointed out, even though I didn't know for sure.

"No, Monique is shallow. Brysen is just heartless." It killed me to hear the disgust coming from Dimitri, I thought they were close.

"Maybe if he knew you wouldn't see him like this." I lifted my head off Dimitri's shoulder and looked him in the eye, what I didn't expect to see were tears rimming his eyes. "Dimitri..." I trailed off, wrapping my arms around him, feeling him almost collapse under my hold. I'd never seen a guy so vulnerable before. Pulling away I wiped my own tears before taking Dimitri's hand in mine. "I'll help you get your sister away when we get back. If you can't provide for her I'll convince my parents to let her stay at my place. Maybe one day you and her can get out of the city, state even." Dimitri nodded and wiped his tears, a rare but genuine smile spread across his face.

"Thank you Bexley." He hugged me one last time before standing up and offering his hand for me to take. I took it without a worry and together we walked back to the bonfire.

I suddenly felt accomplished, I may have just made a difference in someones life.

-

A pair of arms wrapped around me from behind, I sunk back into them, not caring whose arms they belonged to, I was tipsy.

I no longer felt cold like I had begun to, the bonfire was too crowded for me to even consider going near it. The person swayed the two of us side to side, my hair moved over my right shoulder. I giggled when I felt the persons hot breath on the back of my neck.

"I think someone has had a little too much alcohol." I giggled again as I realised who it was. Only Brysen would be confident enough to touch me. He turned me around and I grinned up at him, he could probably smell the alcohol. Unlike me, Brysen seemed to have not had anything to drink.

"You're a big boy." I poked his chest and then proceeded to lying my head on it.

"And why is that?" Brysen asked, stroking my hair and wrapping his arms around.

"Because you're not drinking." My response came out muffled as I kept my head pressed up to his chest.

"Someone has to get you home." To that I just nodded and shut my eyes. I was beyond tired. "What were you and Dimitri doing earlier?" I looked up, my eyes opening and revealing Brysens face, his jaw moving and tensing.

"Just talking." I stated, my eyes growing heavy.

"And hugging." Brysen said quickly, his voice deep and annoyed. "Be careful with him Bexley, all he brings is trouble." I stepped out of Brysens arms, a frown on my face.

"You wouldn't know the first thing about Dimitri." I crossed my arms over my chest, somewhat angry at Brysens behaviour. "He has a heart of gold." I felt the urge to slap Brysen, but kept myself from doing so when Brysens head dropped.

"Now you too." He muttered before turning around and walking off, away from the bonfire, party and me.

----