"And what did just happen?" Dom was being playful.

"You know exactly what happened." Jackie flashed him a stern look. "Anyway, While this is just a temporary promotion at the moment it may lead to something more permanent. I don't really know what I'm going to do if that happens."

"Let me get this straight, if you get the promotion permanently then that means that Luke would have moved to another branch right?"

"Right."

"Then I'll just move my accounts with Luke. Nothing against you Jackie but I don't think Dad would keep his accounts where they are if Luke isn't there, and it would make sense for me to move my accounts along with him. If that is all that is stopping us from being together, I'll do whatever it takes to be with you Jackie."

"Well that sounds simple enough, but once they find out that we have been seeing each other......"

"Everything will be fine Jackie. I know it will." Dom was looking down at his hands on his lap. He had other plans for Jackie anyway, but he knew that her career meant a lot to her. "I need to talk to you about something too, while we are in the confession mode."

"Really?" Jackie felt her heart sink like a lead weight on the end of a fishing line. Here it comes, she thought.

"I will be spending a bit of time over in Australia and I'm not sure how long it will be before I can come back home." Dom noticed the look of shock on Jackie's face. "I wanted to make last night special, to let you know that I really do care for you – A lot." Dom took both Jackie's hands in his to try and reassure her that this wasn't goodbye. "I have to go over and start preparing for the racing season. The first race is in 2 months and I need to be there to help set up the car."

"But....." Jackie was in shock. She could feel the tears start to build in her eyes and turned away from Dom so that he couldn't see.

"Jackie, I want you to come over and be with me whenever you can. I will pay for everything. I need to be with you."

Jackie was feeling heartbroken. While in the back of her mind she was relieved that this meant she wouldn't be able to give in to his tempting allure, she was depressed at the thought that they wouldn't be able to see each other so easily.

Dom could hear her heart breaking and moved both of his hands to cradle her face. "Jackie, I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you." And with that statement he moved one hand on to the bed next to her, and the other hand behind her head. Kissing her tenderly he gently lay her down on the bed and made love to her once more.

***

It was 1pm by the time Dom and Jackie had managed to rise out of bed. It was a beautiful spring day and Jackie didn't want to miss out on any more of the sunshine. She had just hopped out of the shower and had walked back into bedroom with just a towel wrapped around her when Dom walked back into the room.

"I hate to alarm you but Dad has just arrived downstairs." Dom stated matter-of-factly.

"What!" Jackie sounded alarmed. If he sees me he might mention something to Luke! Oh I am in so much trouble. Damn you Jackie! Why didn't you stop this before it went too far!

"It's okay Jackie. Calm down. He won't say anything. I'll have a talk to him. But I do suggest you get dressed before you come downstairs." Dom winked at her as he turned around to head back down to the lower deck to distract his father.

Jackie hurriedly pulled on her black jeans and blouse. Bugger! Where is my jacket? She looked around the room, then recalled that she had left it draped over the back of one of the dining chairs. Philip is going to know Dom's here with someone. She pulled her long hair back into a ponytail before heading downstairs to join Dom. Her heart was beating so hard that she thought it was going to jump out of chest.

Jackie quietly tiptoed down the stairs but stopped short as she heard the loud boom of Philip's voice. She could tell that he wasn't happy.

"Dom you know I don't approve of you dating that girl. She's not the right person for you." Philip's voice had that tone that fathers used when their children had just been caught misbehaving.

"But Dad. I have very strong feelings for her. I haven't felt like this before about anyone." Dom was pleading. "Besides I'm old enough to make my own decisions."

"Not when it concerns the company boy. You know that your choice in partner can affect the success of the business. You need to choose someone that is used to our kind of world. Not some back water bimbo who sees the dollar signs and wants a piece of that pie."

Jackie slumped down onto the bottom step. She felt her whole world crumple below her.

"Dad! That's enough! I won't let you talk about her like that." Dom was forceful. "Maybe I don't want a piece of that pie either. If things fall into place the way I hope they will I won't need to be a part of the company and you can keep it."

"You'll choose some small time infatuation over your future with the company?"

"Yes I would. She means the world to me Dad and I won't let you bully me out of being able to grow old with her. I love her!"

"Love. LOVE! What do you know about love."

"Obviously more than you. I know that when you truly love someone you don't cheat on them." Dom had obviously hit a nerve as the room went deadly silent.

Jackie didn't know whether to walk in the room or go back upstairs. She just sat there - stunned. She wanted to sneak into the room, grab her purse and quietly slip away, but she would've been seen. She managed to pull herself together and make her way back upstairs. She didn't have to wait long before Dom had joined her.

Dom could tell by the look on her face that she had heard at least some of the conversation. She was sitting on the end of the bed staring at him. Her skin was pale and she felt like she was about to be sick. What have you done Jackie? You have just single-handedly ruined both yours and Dom's future.

"Jackie? Are you okay?" Dom had walked over to her and was kneeling on the floor at her feet. The liquid in his iridescent blue eyes made them look like the deepest blue ocean. She could feel his hands trembling as he held onto her knees. "Please don't take any notice of anything he said" Dom was pleading with her.

"I think I just need to go home Dom. I'm sorry. For everything." Jackie stood up and walked downstairs. She grabbed her jacket and purse, slipped on her shoes and left.