Chapter Twelve

Rule Number Twelve: Dancing Is Always A Fun Thing to Do

My heart was going a mile a minute. I rubbed my foot against Lucy's calf and heard her slight intake of breath. Tingles were shooting through my whole body, and I wanted to lean in and kiss her so badly I ached. I couldn't though. She'd just had her heart broken. I wasn't going to move in on her the second I heard she was single. It was just so wrong. So instead of leaning in and kissing her, I stood up and held out my hand for her. She looked slightly confused, but took my hand anyways. She pulled herself off the ground and looked uncomfortable, like she wished she weren't in a bikini. I knew this wasn't something she wore on a regular basis-she told me her mom threw her other ones out so she'd only have this one-and I knew she felt embarrassed. She shouldn't though; she looked gorgeous. Sure, it was a little small in her chest area, but it just made her even more beautiful.

"You know, those lightning bolts must have been very strategically placed," I said, grinning and pointing to a certain part of her bikini top.

She gasped and smacked me before pushing me backwards off the dock. I laughed the whole way down, hitting the water and staying under a few seconds before resurfacing. She grinned at me from the wooden dock, hands on her generous hips, mouth pursed like she was trying not to laugh. A second later she burst out in hysterical laughter and reached out a hand to help me up. Ooh, bad move. Smiling devilishly, I grabbed her hand and hauled her into the water with me before she could pull away. She screamed and plugged her nose right before she hit the water. When she resurfaced, she was sputtering and laughing, pushing loose strands of blonde hair out of her face.

"You're going to pay for that," she said, her voice happy as she swam towards me, trying to look menacing.

"Ooh, I'm so scared," I taunted, treading water, not bothering to move away from her.

"You should be. Rawr! See, I'm scary," she said, right before she jumped on me and dunked me, sitting on my head. I stayed under, not fighting for a few minutes, then I shot upwards and flipped Lucy backwards off my head. She squealed and went under. Going underwater, I stared at her and we smiled at each other. Going back up for air, I sighed and floated on my back. This was the life. We had to get going soon though. I wanted to get Lucy home before her dad shot me.

"C'mon, Luce, let's get dried off," I said reluctantly, swimming back to the dock and climbing up the ladder. Lucy followed, humming to herself. She pulled her long blonde hair over her shoulder and squeezed it to get all of the water out, and I watched, mesmerized, as a single drop slid down the hollow of her throat and then farther down, slowly descending between the swells of her breasts before going lower yet and trailing down her abdomen before disappearing into her belly button. I had to force myself to keep from pushing her to the dock and taking her right there. It was just so hot. And then, when I took my gaze from her stomach, I saw she was biting her lip. I groaned out loud, throwing my head up and looking at the golden sky, the sun setting the sky on fire with oranges and pinks and purples.

How did she expect me to restrain myself when she bit her lip? That was the one thing a girl could do that was sure to drive me wild. And I was feeling quite wild at the moment. Turning around quickly and practically running to my truck, I opened the driver's side door and leaned into the car, taking a few deep breaths. Sighing, I turned up the radio, and an old John Mayer song was playing on the radio.

"Luce, dance with me," I said, cranking the music up and pulling Lucy to me.

I held Lucy close to me and we slow danced as John Mayer sang Slow Dancing In A Burning Room. While he crooned, Lucy and I swayed from side to side, and I twirled her, holding her tight against me. Dipping her back as John Mayer sang the heartfelt, emotional song, Lucy and I never broke eye contact. Her brown eyes stared deeply into mine, soft and open and vulnerable. This was too much; I couldn't take it. Right as John began singing the last few lines, I dipped my face towards Lucy's, lips slowly descending towards hers. I was a centimeter away, both of us still looking at the other, and right as I felt her warm, sweet breath mingling with mine, our lips about to press together, her cell phone rang.