Chapter FiftyThree

WPOV:

I desperately want to wake up, but I can't. I've been trying to move for days now. I've almost managed a few times...

Nico is sitting beside me, holding my hand and talking.
"I love you Will." He says. I want to tell him that I love him too, but I can't. This is so frustrating!

"I really, really love you." He continues. "I know your parents hate me..." And I hate them because of that, "But don't care. Well, I kind of care." He shouldn't. They're not worth it.

"I mean, they're your parents." Sometimes I wish they weren't. "I hate by they don't approve of me, because I want to make you happy... I guess putting you in hospital isn't the way to make you happy." He gives a small, nervous laugh, then sighs. "I'm not very good at this."

He falls silent as more footsteps approach.
"What are you doing?" My dad's voice asks accusingly.
"Talking." Nico answers quietly.
"Why did you fall silent?" He presses suspiciously.
"He's obviously bad-mouthing us." My mom sniffs, siting beside me and talking my hand. I want to pull it out of her grasp.

She starts to talk about politics and I almost die or boredom. I can fell Nico still holding my hand, gently rubbing the back of it, and focus on that instead. His hands are freezing cold. I want I warm them up somehow.

Eventually they have to leave. I feel my parents let go of my hand dismissively letting it drop beside me, while Nico gently places it beside me again.

He kisses my forehead gently. I want to reach out and pull him into a proper kiss. As if hey an hear my thoughts, my parents instantly start to complain.
"Honestly, don't kiss in front of us!"
"I only kissed his forehead." Nico protests.
"Yes, but..." I can almost imagine her face. "

"I can't believe William would ever like you." She sighs. That's it. Nico's been bullied enough before, but this is unacceptable. My own parents are making him feel like shit, and I'm not putting up with it.