'What are you doing?'

'Going to sleep.'

'No, you have to come with me,' Conor protested, frowning.

I sat up. 'Really? Isn't this kinda like, strictly band stuff?'

'I'll love you forever if you come with me.'

I closed my eyes and rested my arms behind my head.

'You're going to love me forever even if I don't.'

'Fine. If you love me, you'll come.'

My eyes snapped open. 'That's mean,' I told him sitting up and slipping my shoes back on.

Christmas 2012

'Um,' I started as I followed Conor up the stairs to his bedroom. 'Are you okay?'

'I'm fine,' he said shortly, turning right at the top of the stairs and making his way back through the hall to his room.

'Are you sure? Cos you seem kind of-'

My words were cut off as he pulled me into his room and pushed me up against the door before I'd even had a chance to look around. Conor attached his lips hungrily to mine and pressed his body against me, pinning me to the door as he traced his tongue along my bottom lip. My mouth dropped open automatically even though my brain was telling me that maybe this wasn't such a good idea and I felt my knees weaken as his tongue slowly probed my mouth. Conor slipped his hand around my neck and into my hair, sending chills down my spine and causing me to lose all focus.

Rather than try to talk to him, I pushed him backwards until we reached the bed and he crawled backwards onto it, stopping only when the wall pressed against his back. I sat on top of him, straddling him, and dragged my lips away from his to ravage his throat instead; I was gratified to hear a deep moan escape as I abused his soft spot.

My hands travelled almost of their own volition slowly down his back and slid inside his jeans and underwear.

'Tyler... No, I don't...'

I pulled away from him, letting my hands rest on his waist, frowning in concern and confusion. 'Conor? What's wrong?'

'I don't... I mean, I'm not...' he was looking at anything in the room except me, but I felt my eyes widen in understanding.

'Oh god, no, Conor, I wasn't, I mean... I promise, okay? I wasn't.' Which is not to say that I would have minded very much if we had ended up having sex.

'Sorry,' he mumbled.

'Don't be. There's nothing to be sorry for,' I told him, crawling off his lap to sit by his side. 'But do you maybe want to talk about why you attacked me in the first place?' I grinned.

Conor rolled his eyes and elbowed me, but stayed silent for a few seconds. Then, 'I mean it's not like I wanted her to end up back together with Dad, you know?!'

'Of course not.'

'Because he was a scumbag.'

'I know.'

'But I don't want her to have a boyfriend either,' he added sullenly. 'She's my mom. Who the hell is he? And what kind of a name is Chase anyway?'

I shrugged helplessly. I'd come to Conor's house for Christmas with the expectation that there would be some boyfriend issues, but I'd thought I'd be the boyfriend in question. Not the guy Mrs Archibald was dating. I was a little out of my depth.

'Maybe you'll like him after you meet him tonight,' I suggested timidly. 'I mean, you didn't like me very much at first either.'

'Funny,' Conor replied sarcastically.