Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

“Hey!” A voice calls from the distance. My head jerks up. God damn it. “What are you doing?”

There are two cops approaching me from about a hundred feet away. I am dressed like an Asgardian asshole, I’ve got an unconscious fugitive at my feet and some seriously suspicious cops approaching. I want to scream in absolute terror and frustration but nothing comes out. I yank Loki’s arm in a scramble to get out of there. If we get caught the NYPD is highly unlikely to take kindly to Loki after all he’s done. I try and drag him backwards as the police continue approaching, one of them calling for back up. I have a sneaking suspicion they’ve already recognized Loki.

“Loki, I swear to Odin if you don’t get up right now I will kill you myself!” I huff, dragging him off the path and behind some bushes. The police rush past our hideaway. I lean down next to his ear to make certain he will hear me, conscious or not. I take a deep breath and confess in a whisper, “Loki, I am afraid. I am afraid and we are in danger and I don’t know what the hell I’m supposed to do. So please…please wake up.”

After just a moment his eyes flutter open and he stumbles to his feet in a blur before staggering over to lean against a tree. He catches his breath and then looks up at me.

“We need to get out of here, we need some place to go,” I inform him. “I really hope your god-sized temper tantrum’s working out for you because it really fucking sucks for me.”

Loki looks at me again, his eyes dark and bloodshot. When he smiles crookedly at me I notice the blood on his teeth. “This really fucking sucks for me as well.”

I would find the statement impossibly hilarious if I didn’t want to kill Loki at the current moment. I grab his arm and throw it about my shoulders, pulling him along once the cops have passed. I find our way out of the park relatively quickly, but then, the real question is where to go. I have no money, no identification and Loki dying in my arms. At least, I assume he’s dying. It certainly seems that way with his body weight draped across me.

I deposit Loki onto a bench so I can stop to ask for directions for a moment. It takes several tries before I can get someone to even look at me. A seemingly nice young guy stops for me after I batted my eyelashes and smiled at him. But as he looks me up and down, I realize it may actually be my avant-garde outfit that got his attention. I swear, if I see Asgardian fucking tunics parading around SoHo anytime soon…

“Hey, can you do me a solid?” I ask and he nods, pushing his thick-framed glasses back up his nose, shifting his bag on his backpack, his skateboard tucked under his arm.

“Sure thing. I’m Peter, by the way.”

I smile at him, feeling very impatient. I glance back to see Loki has fallen over onto his side on the bench and looks positively dead. “I’m Valkyrie and—”

“Whoah. Sweet name!”

“Yup. It’s Nordic. Okay, but seriously, can you point me in the direction of Stark Tower? I’m just…I don’t know how to get there from here,” I admit with a shrug. I hear Loki groan behind me. Well, I guess he’s not quite dead then.

Peter looks around me, “Is he with you?” I nod. “Is he okay?”

“He will be. I think. So, Stark Tower? Can you point the way?”

Peter nods. “200 Park Ave, right off of 44th. But I can do you one better, Val. I can take you there.”

“That’s fine, really, I don’t—” He pushes a badge in my face, an ID badge for one Peter Parker, intern at Stark Towers. He smiles a crooked and adorable smile.

“I got you…and your…friend,” he chuckles lightly. He heads over to crumpled up and groaning Loki, gives him a skeptical once over and then helps him off of the bench. I rush over to him and help support Loki’s right side. Peter and I drag him to end of the block and I steal a glance at the street sign.