Chapter Twenty-Nine

Author's Note: Well, I'll be damned. 23 whole comments on the last chapter! Plus, some absolutely INCREDIBLE detective work from CrazyCranberry on the last chapter. Ten points, A+, and a bag of homemade cookies for you! Cheers, love! Well, now I have high expectations for comments from now on, so ya best being living up to them! OR ELSE. Just kidding. Well, I love you all, I am basically comotose from PROM LAST NIGHT (woo!) and so I apologize for my editing. And this rambling. Side note, me and Shannon took a picture pretending to be Loki and Thor. I was Loki and she was Thor and I think we played our rolls quite swimmingly, complete with mischief and reprimanding. Okay. I promise. Story time now, I swear. Soon we will know who landed on the roof! OR WILL WE? We will. :P

_____________________

Tony and Banner dash out of the door and I follow behind them until Loki calling my name stops me in my tracks. When I turn around, he is still hobbling towards me. No more rapid appearances, no more appearing and disappearing...if I hadn't allowed him to bludgeon me to get his cuffs off then we wouldn't be in this position. There it is. Always too trusting of him.

"I need you to trust me," Loki whispers. Oh, come on.

"Loki, we need to go!" I try and drag him along with me, but in a moment he has my back pressed to the wall.

"You must understand. I have lived a great many years fearing to need anything, fearing to be of want or imposition—”

"Is this really important right now?" I ask, rolling my eyes. I push him off of me but then he lays me back against the wall again taking his hand to my cheek and running it over my skin, down my neck and down my arm, gentle as anything. I can feel his hand tremble against my skin.

"It is of the utmost importance, my dear. It is something you must hear from my lips. I have forbidden myself much of the joys of life because I felt I was unworthy of them. In my whole existence I have felt a terrible...cavity in my being. When you offered to help me and befriended me I did not know quite how to accept it. I did not want you around me for a fear of needing you. Want for nothing, I have always advised myself.

I abused you and your trust most foully. I have harmed you and I wish I could take it back again. That night...you presented me with a gift and it made me angry. I filled with anguish because I felt I was using you. You sacrificed everything for my worthless soul..."

"Loki..." I attempt but he shakes his head and touches my hair, tucking it behind my ear. I feel the tears in my eyes. I shake my head. "We need to go."

I pull away from Loki and hurry to where the elevators are, dragging Loki behind me. We are silent in the elevators until we get to the top floor.

"Please," Loki says quietly, "understand why I brought you here. I lost my ability to see reason and I could not come to terms with myself about how I felt about you. In my blind anguish and reversion back to who I thought I best am, a monster, a villain, I saw one clear logic. To take you with me. I brought you here because I believed you would listen to me, understand how I felt. I suppose I brought you here to confess something that I have been repressing for a long time now.”

I stare at him for a moment, trying to take in everything he is saying. It slowly begins to make sense in my head, the fitting together of puzzle pieces I once believed to be the wrong shape. But the picture is much clearer now, with every word. The doors slide open and Tony, Banner and Thor are just outside of them. Thor looks weary, but not so weary as Loki remains to be.

“Brother!” Thor exclaims, face brightening. He pulls me into a hug the moment I step foot outside of the elevator. “Lady Valkyrie, how are you faring?”