Chapter 16

Returning Home

We all sat safely on the carts that would take us to the edge of the city. The entire city had underground cart lines that could be opened up. The foundation flooring opened up rotated 90 degrees and disappeared down a slot, revealing the cart lines. The same had been done across the whole city, allowing us transport to the wall. At the wall, we would be given similar carts do our bags and the enhanced with injuries and malnutrition from their recent experimentation. We'd found out the hard way what experimenting on enhanced could do. These carts, however, were wheeled and we would have to pull them ourselves.

So we sat on the carts and let them take us all the way to the city outskirts. It isn't take too long. Merely a few minutes, but they were a contented few, peaceful. Simply enjoying marvelling at the magnificent buildings and features that accompanied them.

We arrived at the large marble doors and were greeted by several guards. This wasn't supposed to happen, we had specifically said we wouldn't treat their appearance well. The Authorities in the High Room got the idea and agreed, but yet here they were.

"What are they doing here?" Jason hissed to me.

"No idea, but we don't them. Certain people here have a vendetta that they are more than likely to carry out than the rest of us, and I don't want to start another fight."

"Neither do I."

I stepped out of the cart quickly and walked to the guards, Jason and Crimson behind me. I was about to speak, but Crimson was already ahead of me. "Keep away and you will not be harmed."

"Thee..erm...the Presidentic's son. We came for him."

"That would be me." Crimson answered coldly.

"Oh, really?" The guard spluttered, then, realising what he had said, covered it quickly. "Oh, you really need to come back with us. Right away, our Presidentic has required your presence."

"Very well. I was hoping to return to Bellyne with the others before being called back, I guess not."

"Sorry, er...sir, but you must come back now."

"I'm coming."

From the carts I heard another voice ring out from the rest. "You lot, if these are causing trouble and you don't want to sort 'em out, I will!" Blade hollered.

"It's fine!" I yelled back.

Jason patted Crimson on the back. "Bye man."

I surprised even myself when I flung my arms around Crimson, giving him a light, quick hug, before retreating a few paces. Quickly. "Well, erm, we'll see you some other time, come back to Bellyne soon, right?" I asked.

"Of course, and here, take this." He passed me a phone of sorts, different though. "A Communicator-B74. The only mobile device allowed in the Presidentic's building, and the only thing that will pick up signal from one to another. If I need you, I'll ring."

I took the Communicator and nodded. "Sure."

Without another word, he turned away and followed the guards.

We all took our belongings, what was left of them, out of the carts, and grabbed the wheeled carts from them. The injured were placed on the carts, as were our bags and water bottles. We'd been fortunate enough to have found food from the Presidentic building, enough for our trip.

We were completely established in about 20 minutes. The carts - there were 4 - were filled, 3 with enhanced, 1 for our baggage. At the front were Blade, Jason, Nashik and Taylor. On the left was Madi, and on the right, Jamie. I was taking up the rear with Theo. We were pushing the carts; I was pushing 3 of them with my abilities, and Theo became stone-form, and pushed the last cart.