Chapter 11

Training

I stood, paralysed, metres away from the battle in front of me. Unable to move or speak, all I could do was watch. Helplessly. My mouth was open, and although no noise was coming out, I could feel my dry and raw throat, racked with screams. My heart was pounding furiously, the adrenaline and rage combining. But I couldn't use it, I couldn't help them. I couldn't save them.

Jason, wolf form, his body grabbed by masked army figures, blood pouring from many wounds. Frost and Theo, fighting side by side, their strengthened forms unable to stop that many bullets. Frost's crystal form broke, leaving her lying in a pool of her own blood.

On the other side of the battlefield, Nashik and Taylor were being swarmed by the same masked men, who clutched onto them, stopping them from escaping using their flight and teleportation. Screaming in anguish and pain was Toby, who held the limp and lifeless body of his girlfriend. Before he too, was taken down by the attackers, bullets slicing through his skin.

More already lay on the blood-soaked battlefield, lifeless eyes wide open, staring into nothing. Their last thought all the same. It was all my fault.

I jolted upright suddenly, eyes wide open, sweating heavily, panicked. I couldn't let that happen, I thought, we have to be ready.

I was up and ready to go in moments, and despite my new room with its space and layout, I wasted no time in leaving it. My heart still racing from my dream, I pounded on everyone's doors, yelling, "Training!", as I went along the corridors.

"Wow Apryl, you're up early!" Jason called from his room.

"Why so anxious to get started?" Madi asked.

"Why wait?" I replied, continuing towards the stairs, and up onto the training floor.

Once everyone had clambered up the stairs, I was ready to begin. "Right, first up, we are going to have pairs based on the most similar abilities and see how that works. Just to test your abilities."

"Sounds good." Jamie added.

"Okay then. Theo, you go with Frost. Blade, with Jason. Love birds, you guys go together." I said, pointing to Toby and Bethan. They rolled their eyes at me but take their places opposite each other on the training markers. I continued - "Erm, Taylor with Nashik and Jamie with Adam. Right Crimson, you're with me and Madi because you can control people, which gives you the advantage, and there's an odd number."

"Obviously we can't all go at once, so the first three pairs will start, got it?" That was Jason, and everyone obeyed quickly.

Blade's swords shoot out of his sleeves, ready for action. I yelled, "Go," and they advanced. Jason transformed into a bear and lunged at Blade, who twisted out the way and poked Jason's side. Obviously they can't really hurt each other. Jason rolled over the sword though, and continued to roll, hitting and then crushing Blade beneath him. As he does he shifted into a wolf and backs off, growling at Blade. Blade advances again, swiping his swords left and right. He suddenly lunged and slashed Jason's front before he can react. The battle was a fairly even fight and I turned to watch Theo and Frosts instead.

Theo held a rock in one closed fist, his figure dark and metallic grey. He swung a punch towards Frost, who ducked and kicked Theo in the stomach. He stumbled back, winded even in his rocky form. They continue a monotonous loop of punches and kicks, until Frost aims for Theo's face. Theo grasped Frost's fist in his hand and head butted her. Hard. He let go of her hand and she stumbled back, collapsing to the floor and losing her crystal form. Impressive.