Chapter 2

Meeting Jason

As I stepped out the doorway, the two guards grabbed me, each taking hold of my arms. The second they did this, I spun as best I could to face them, kicking the one on the right in the chest. As he stumbled and his grip loosened, I freed my arm, curling it into a fist and punching the other guard. He too stumbled and fell back. Without losing pacing, i advanced onto the authority member, punching his in the nose, feeling the satisfying crunch as it broke, and the kicked him hard in his chest. With that, I took off running.

***

I had been running for a while now, the images of the area surrounding me had become a blur as I ran past. A bead of sweat trickled down my back as I glanced at my watch. Two hours, I'd been running for two hours without a break. I came to a stop gradually, panting, my hands resting on my knees as I bent over to try and catch my breath.

Slowly, my senses returning to me, I surveyed the scene around me. I had run straight into the opening of a forest, and green covered my view. It was autumn, and crisp leaves of golden and amber floated down and met the fresh green grass. Tall, long limbed trees towered over everything, shielding the afternoon sun from me. A small breeze drifted through the forest, rustling the grass and leaves beneath me. I gratefully allowed it to cool me down, relishing the cold. I glanced back at my watch - 15:35, the middle of the afternoon. I needed to keep moving.

I followed the forest as it curved downwards into a seemingly endless valley. There were less trees here, and I could see glimpses of the bright sun becoming lower in the sky. I tugged my backpack off one shoulder, unzipping it and grabbing my water bottle. I drank greedily, forgetting that obtaining water on the run was difficult. I placed it back into my bag and replaced the bag on my shoulder. I set off again, at a quicker pace, almost jogging.

I knew that past this valley was a small, abandoned village, a perfect place for me to shelter whilst I figured out my next move. Destroyed by the enhanced in the war, it was of no use to anyone to rebuild. The families that lived there had no doubt lost one or more loved ones in the chaos, and would not want to be reminded of that.

Lucky for me, a place of refuge for a night perhaps. I thought to myself, no doubt patrols will be looking for me in the morning though. The authority patrols were given names and faces of everyone that was presumed to be on the run - normal men or women faced imprisonment, for me, an enhanced, I would be killed. Not cheerful thoughts, I thought grimly as switched from jogging to running once again.

It was dusk before I reached the end of the forest. The valley had curved back up to the edge of the forest, revealing the crumbling houses and smashed concrete that made up the village. I waited patiently behind a tree, constantly checking for any movements within the village. Nothing.

Silently, I crept out from the safety of the forest, risking a quick walk towards the nearest house. Or what was left of the house. The door was intact and as I tried to open it, I realised it was jammed by a large piece of concrete, concrete that I was standing on. I stepped back, off the concrete and stood next to it. I took in a deep breath, focusing my vision intently onto the slab of concrete.

I extended my arms, so my palms faced upwards, still staring at the concrete. A very thin blue light covered my hands, showing that I was, in some way, activating my abilities. I lifted my hands upwards, and the concrete shifted. Moving with my hands, it floated upwards and then moved to the left, away from the house. I placed it down as gently as I could, careful not to make any noise. Letting out a slow breath, I felt my hands return to normal, as I no longer needed my telekinetic powers. I opened the door slowly; a loud creaking could be heard however careful I was to try and stay silent.