“That would be George Kent.” Sally made a sour face. “He considers himself the big man at Candlewick.”

Over at the billiards table, Kent grabbed a ball and shoved it into the others, ruining the game in progress. He let out an obnoxious guffaw and walked away. The others at the table simply started collecting the balls to start over.

Around the room, everyone stopped what they were doing. As Kent strode across the carpet, all eyes were on him. Once it was clear that the man was headed for the bowling group, the other activities slowly picked back up.

“Great,” Stanton muttered. “He’s coming here.”

“Just tell him to go away,” Sally said.

“You try telling him!”

Kent howled a greeting, and the group around the table gave a half-hearted reply. Kent glanced at the screen. “What’cha got here? Bowling? Let me try.”

Sally shouted, “We’re in the middle of the tournament!”

“C’mon. Stanton don’t mind.” He turned to Ray Stanton. “Do you?”

The other man hesitated then handed over the controller. “I guess not.”

Jenny rustled as if she were about to say something. Earl put a hand on her arm and shook his head.

Standing in front of the screen, Kent analyzed the device. “How does this work?”

“Well, um, you see—.” Stanton trembled. “You swing it like this. And the machine knows when you’re bowling.”

“What’ll they think of next?” Kent turned toward the table, taking off his ring. Earl noticed the big white stone as the man held it out for Conroy to see. “Take a look at that, man. It’s huge!”

He then held it out for Gloria. “Would you watch this for me, doll?”

“Just set it on the table,” Gloria said. “And my name is Mrs. Logan.”

Kent laughed and winked. As he set the ring on the table, he looked at Sally Brouwer and frowned.

Then he suddenly regarded Dandy Anderson. “Hey—wanna make it interesting?”

Everyone looked at Dandy. The man’s eyes grew wide. “W-what did you have in mind?”

“I don’t know—.” Kent seemed to consider it. “Double or nothing?”

Jenny leaned for Earl’s ear. “Double or nothing of what?” Earl didn’t answer; he merely watched the others exchange nervous glances.

Licking his lips, Anderson asked, “What’s the bet?”

A predatory grin spread across Kent’s face. “That I bowl a strike.”

Anderson gave it some thought. Everyone waited. Finally he started nodding—slowly at first—then picking up steam until his whole body was in it. “Sure. Sure.”

“All right.” Kent, pleased, turned to the screen. He got into place just so, flexed his fingers around the control, and went for it. The digital ball shot down the digital lane and smacked in the center of the digital pins. A strike. Kent howled.

Jenny looked at Mr. Anderson. All the blood had drained from his face.

Kent glanced at Stanton. “Now, that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

Stanton wore an embarrassed smile but said nothing. Kent turned to Anderson again. “So, do you wanna let it ride?”

Gloria put a hand on Anderson’s arm. “Don’t.”