Chapter XIV: As Time Goes By

Chapter XIV:

As Time Goes By

    "I would take back my words and my deeds at the gate.  You did what only a true friend would do.  Forgive me...I was too blind to see.  I'm so sorry that I have led you into such peril," Thorin Oakenshield, my father, remarks to my One, my hobbit, Bilbo Baggins.  From his position splayed upon the icy waterfall of Ravenhill, his lungs visibly begin to slow, coughing up blood in a renewed fervor.

    "No, no.  I'm glad to have shared in all your perils, Thorin--each and every one of them.  And it's far more than any Baggins deserves," Bilbo responds, desperation lacing his tone.  The two most important men in my life exchange a smile of fellowship, of deep love in the other's companionship.

    "Farewell, Master Burglar.  Go back to your armchair.  Plant your trees.  Watch them grow," my father remarks to Bilbo, choking over his own words.  He is referring to the large oak tree of Bag End, a sight known to few, but valued by the several.  It is a reminder of an adventure, and of the repercussions of sacrifice.  My family lost much in the Battle of the Five Armies, but gained more in the fellowship of kin and the ability to grow their own families.  I am the offspring of my uncle and aunt's sacrifices...for which I'll always be grateful,

    "If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place," my father relays his motto, the one that stands at the entrance of Erebor.  Setting off from the Blue Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield never expected to gain anything more than gold on his return to Erebor.  But as fate is simply a tool to the Valar, he gained love, home, and family.  But more than that, he gained eternal happiness.  It is the greatest gift, after all.

    "No! No! No! No! No! No! Thorin! Oh, don't you dare!" Bilbo explains in effervescent desperation as my father visibly exhales for his final time.  This scene is one I never intended or desired to watch; it is something no child should have to merely imagine.  I'd far rather watch my parents kiss than to see my father die.  And to say the least, I now have a greater deal of respect for the mortals of Middle Earth.

    "Thorin, Thorin! Wake up.  The eagles...the eagles...the eagles are here.  Thorin...the eag--" he chokes out, finally falling into tears of potent sorrow.  Oh, the pain in my heart is one unmatched to that of Bilbo.  But I have little chance to grasp the feeling as the scenery changes..........

"The power of the Three Rings is ended. The time has come for the Dominion of Men," Galadriel remarks from the harbour of the elves, a place of intended adventure to the final seas of the Gray Havens.  It is one I never want to see, but illuminating all the same.

"I Aear can vên na mar {The Sea calls us home}," Elrond remarks in his graceful fashion, holding out his arms to an aged Bilbo which I will never again witness.  And as if the power of the Ring comes to him, once again, my hobbit springs in his old step, in search of the elf's words.

"I think I'm quite ready for another adventure," Bilbo remarks, boarding the ship, followed by Galadriel who sends Frodo a fleeting glance.  And as all things are with the Lady of Light, the look is one of deeper meaning, a hint to do something of great emotional despair.

"Farewell, my brave Hobbits.  My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes the end of our Fellowship," Gandalf addresses the three hobbits, excluding Frodo for reasons yet to be known...but I have a great suspicion.