Devil's Trap

“You kids really screwed up this time...

-------------------

Salvation, Iowa

“You’re never going to see your father again.”

“I swear to God, if you hurt him I’m going to tear your flesh off, you bitch!” Then the line went dead. “They’ve got Dad.” I panicked, pacing back and forth around the room. Dean took the Colt and tucked it into the back of his jeans.

“What are you doing, Dean?” Sam said, about to go into panic mode.

“We got to go,” Dean replied, matter-of-factly.

“Why?” FACEPALM!

“Because the demon knows we’re in Salvation. It knows we got the Colt and it’s got Dad,” Dean rushed. He’s freaking out.

“Good. We’ve still got three bullets left. Let it come.” DOUBLE FACEPALM!

“Listen, tough guy, we’re not ready, ok? We don’t know how many of them are out there. Now, we’re no good to anybody dead. We’re leaving… now!”

“Well…”

“We’re gonna need help aren’t we?”

-------------------

The junk cars, Rumsfeld, the tow-truck and the stacked books everywhere inside was basically home to me. “Hey, buddy,” I greeted the huge black dog tied up outside the house, grabbing its face and rubbing his ears. “I’ve missed you. You missed me, huh?” He wagged his tail excitedly and I smiled, hugging him around the neck. Rumsfeld.

I sat in my usual place twirling the usual knife back and forth in my left hand, reading the usual books. “Here you go.”

“What is this? Holy water?”

“That one is. This is whiskey.” I laughed at that one.

“Thanks, Uncle Bobby,” I said, looking up at the old drunk. Bobby’s not actually my uncle. He was so close to my Dad that maybe he could be.

“Thanks for everything. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t sure we should come,” Dean said, taking a swig of the whiskey.

“Nonsense, your Daddy needs help,” he reassured us.

“Well, yeah, but last time we saw you, I mean, you did threaten to blast him full of buckshot. Cocked the shotgun and everything.” I giggled at my own recollection of the story.

“Yeah, well, what can I say? John has that effect on people,” Uncle Bobby shrugged.

“I guess he does…”

“But, little one, none of that matters now. All that matters is that you get him back.”

“Bobby, this book…” Sam complimented from the desk. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Key o’ Solomon? It’s the real deal, alright.” Anything you need to know about demons is in there.

“And these, uh, these protective circles. They really work?” They’re called Devil’s Traps, Sammy.

“Hell, yeah. You get a demon in – they’re trapped. Powerless. It’s like a Satanic roach motel,” Uncle Bobby explained with a chuckle from Sam.

“Man knows his stuff.” Dean sat crouched next to me.

“I’ll tell you something else, too. This is some serious crap you kids have stepped in.” Uncle Bobby looked at me regretfully.