Phantom Traveller

“Wake me up and I’ll hurt you,” I threatened whacking Sam across the face.

 “I have coffee so I suggest you get up before your face gets burned off,” he sing-songed.

 “What’s the time?” I asked groggily, sitting up the empty double bed which I shared with Sammy.

“Ooh, about 5.45.”

 “In the morning?”

“Yep,” he smiled.

 “God! Where does the day go?” I got up and fell over. Sam laughed and walked out of the room. “Did you get breakfast as well?”

 “Eat up, Emz!” Dean was already seated at the table with his feet resting on one of the spare chairs.  “Could you wake Koda up as well before you eat?”

 “I eat then he gets up!” I took a bite of the pastry Sammy had gotten. My brothers looked at each other and started laughing. “How’d you sleep last night, Sammy?”

 “I grabbed a couple hours,” he acknowledged.

 “Liar,” Dean muttered.

 “When I had a nightmare at three… you were watching a George Foreman infomercial,” I pointed my breakfast at him.

 “What can I say? It’s riveting TV.”

 “Nightmares? Emerson, how long have you been having nightmares?” Dean asked, now having my full attention. I can’t believe I said that!

 “They started after Lake Manitoc,” I replied quietly.

 “Why didn’t you tell us? We could’ve helped you,” he encouraged.

 “There’s nothing you can do about dreams.”

 “If helps if you talk about them!”

 “Please don’t yell at me,” I breathed looking down in my lap.

 “I’m just trying to look out for you, Em! I’m you brother! I’m meant to!”

“I’m not scared of them just like I’m not scared of our job,” I slammed my hands the table. “I’m going to get Koda up,” I threw my half eaten pastry in the pile in the middle and stormed out of the room. I opened Koda’s door to see him sitting up and talking on his phone.

 “Mum, I can’t… You promised me on my birthday I would go back,” he turned around when the door squeaked to see me leaning against the door frame. “I gotta go, Mum.” He hung up and walked over to me, smiling like a seven-year-old boy on Christmas Day. “Hey, baby,” he smiled. I leaned up to kiss him but he shifted his head and dug it into my neck, breathing in and lifting me up.

 “You know I’m ticklish there Koda,” I giggled. He set me back on my feet and kept his hands around my waist.

 “I would love to wake up to you every morning for the rest of my life,” he smiled at me. “I was talking to Mum just before as you could’ve heard.”

 “How is she?”

“She’s fine. But, um… Oh god, I don’t know how to tell you,” he let me go and sat on the edge of the bed head in his hands. I followed him and sat on his lap, legs either side of him.

 “What’s wrong? You know I can handle anything,” his hair was soft when I ran my hair through it, knowing he loves it when I do that, he shivered.

“I’m, um, leaving next week,” he muttered. It was like my heart had just been ripped out of my chest and I couldn’t breathe. “I know, Em. I don’t want to go either but you know how my mother is.” He kissed me passionately when he noticed the tears going into free fall. I immediately melted and leaned into him. A phone in the room started ringing so I separated from the boy in front of me and answered it.