Sammy

My eyes didn't take long to adjust when they opened, greeted with open arms by dull city lights and the traditional Californian night life. Palo Alto was a charter city that was 2 hour drive south west of Sacramento and a ten minute drive from the Stanford University campus, where Sam was studying law. The apartment building we stopped outside was five stories high, an urban style front with palm trees that lined the street. According to the campus directory, Winchester, S & Moore, J's apartment was on the third floor with the room number 313. "What are you going to tell him?" I questioned, softly.

"What I told you earlier," he answered without hesitation.

"Do you think he'll take it?"

Dean sighed, "Sam won't bite at first, but you're on the road with me now. He's bound to come along. Even if it's only for a couple days."

"Two days doesn't make up for two years of absence."

"Yeah, well. Blame our father. You're very mature for a fourteen year old."

Around the back of the apartment building, there was an open parking lot that was barely full. All cars probably parked outside a sorority or frat house back on university grounds. I could hear Dean mumbling the plan to get his brother down here over and over softly as he fumbled with the door handle. "There's candy and stuff in a bag somewhere if you want it. Sour Patch Kids, Skittles... I was meant to remind you before we left but it sort of slipped my mind."

He's been distracted since we left Utah, immersed in the thought that he's going to see his brother again after so long. Thoughts encaving him about what he's doing right now. Studying at the late hours of the morning, preparing himself for a new topic in class by learning half the material over the weekend? No one knew, except Sam. It's not he doesn't exactly call to check up on us anymore. Last phone call was on my 14th birthday, February 1st of this year. It's been 9 months since.

After Dean told me about the bag of candy, my emotions rose to ecstatic while I dug around the back seat for the plastic bag. I sighed in triumph, getting comfortable again. With a bright smile, I glanced at my big brother. His lips twitched as he silently mumbled what he was going to say to Sam, his thumbs rolling over themselves.

"Hey, Dean?" I comforted, with a hand on his shoulder. "What are you so worried? The worst he can do is call the police. Besides, you're his brother. There's nothing that you wouldn't do for each other. Just go with it."

Dean nodded slowly in agreement. "Okay. I won't be long."

He exited the car and began to climb the fire escape outside the building.

-------------------

In the front seat, the only sounds that occupied me was the crackling of the candy packet in front of me and cars passing out on the main street. You would think that sitting in the dark late at night would be enough to scare anyone. Not me. From a young age, we were trained not to fear anything, especially after our mom and our sister, my twin. I'll get more into that later.

About ten minutes after Dean climbed the fire escape, the back exit to the apartment building creaked open and shut heavily with a metallic clunk. In all honesty, I think I was just as nervous as Dean was about confronting Sam after so long. I wonder what his hair has gone, if he's cut it or dyed it. From the campus directory, J. Moore was obviously a Jane or Janis or Jessica, so he's got himself a girlfriend. Good on him. It's been insanely long since I've seen him, I missed him so much.

Their voices grew louder as they came closer to the rear of the Impala. Dean's voice was less shaky compared to what it was like earlier tonight. I couldn't help but  turn in my seat to watch the pair. He was actually there. With the longish hair, strong jawline, still freakishly tall. He was there less than five yards away from me. Although their voices were quiet, the proximity of them allowed me to still hear thier conversation with clarity.