A Dangerous Life

It was surprisingly warm for a November morning, yet I was greeted almost the same way I was just about every day: my brother yelling at me to wake up. "Emz! Time to get up!" By the echo of his voice, it was bouncing off the tile walls in the bathroom. In clear protest, I pulled the itchy motel bed sheets tighter around my small body and huddled into the way too soft pillow even further. "Emerson, don't do this today."

"Five more minutes, Dean," I whispered tiredly.

He sighed and sat on the edge of the next bed. "Now, Emerson. It's past nine. We gotta hit the road if we want to get to California before midnight. You can sleep in the car."

I groaned loudly and opened my eyes to glare at him as I sat up in bed. He had a small smirk plastered along his lips and amusement in his bright green eyes while he watched me rub my blue eyes and pull at my long dirty blonde hair, a evident sign that I was tired because it was something that I did every morning (or woke up from whenever I slept). "Why Cali?" I asked, rummaging through my duffel bag that was under the motel bed to pick out a pair of jeans, t-shirt and hoodie along with the essential under garments.

"I was thinking, it's been a while since we saw our brother."

I retreated from his company to the bathroom to quickly shower and dress. "I doubt you're serious," I retorted to my big brother. This is just one of his ways to get me to drive cross country with him to do some stupid job in Sacramento or Palo Alto, being so close to my brother but not allowed to see him.

A mere two years ago, when I was twelve, my dad and other older brother, Sam, got in this huge fight about loyalty to the family and free will. Dad turned around and said that if he left, he had to stay gone. So he left, completely involved in himself and his own choices. Dean and I managed to trek around with Dad for a few more months after that.

"Dead serious, little sister," he answered, beginning to pack up. "He just doesn't know we're coming." I rolled my eyes and pulled my hair back in a ponytail.

Dean was the protective and selfless type, a real abnegation. He is literally the heart and soul of this family, the glue that kept us from falling apart. That was only one side. The other... He was my big brother who wasn't afraid of anything, or at least that's the message that he gave off.

Sam was the smart one, the researcher, the fighter, and like Dean, protective. There were times when he blew the foundation of a simple operation to bits but all the while, he was putting something else back together.

My brothers were my everything. When Sam left, I was broken. It was the biggest fight I'd ever seen happen in this family and it tore me to pieces because Sam was potentially disowoned from the Winchester name. For Dad, my sarcasm and brooding was too much to handle so I was left at a family friend's place in South Dakota for several months until the loud engine of the Impala woke me one morning. Dean sat me at the table in the kitchen and explained that Dad had gone missing on a hunt, practically begging me to help him look for our father. After days that turned into weeks which turned into months without seeing him or my father, I couldn't help but kiss Sioux Falls goodbye and leave with Dean.

To a person walking down the street, I was just a normal fourteen year old girl who's always under the supervision and protection of her dauntless brothers. If only they knew about the guns in my brothers jeans and the knife in my black high-top. Together, we've travelled the back roads to the far corners of America to hunt. Not deer or rabbits or anything like that. We hunt your worst nightmares. Monsters.

If you can't tell, out of my two brothers, Sam and Dean, I'm closer to the taller one. That's Sam. I forgot that you can't actually see us. His shaggy hair and height were the two most decipherable traits between the boys. Where he stands at 6'4" with deep voice and heightened maturity, you would have thought that he was the older one.

Sam was my best friend. Not that Dean isn't, just I got along with Sam more.

"So what? We're just gonna waltz into his apartment and just expect him to hit the road with us?" I helped him with packing our duffel, handing him the shirt I wore to bed the previous night.

"Yeah," he said with a shrug. "You know, you sounded like him when you said that. You two are more similar than you think."

He double checked that we had everything from under the matresses and pillows. When he decided that we had everything that wouldn't alert hotel management and then the local police, we locked up and checked out. The hood of Dad's 1967 Chevrolet Impala shone in the early morning sun, the light at just the right angle to blind you as soon as you stepped out of the motel's reception office. Dean threw our belongings in the trunk of the car, securing the cover of the arsenal so that the talismens and weapons underneath it don't rattle around and cause something to accidentally go off. Dad won't be happy if that happened.

Not long after, we made our way through the small and narrow streets of Ogden, Utah (a 12 hour drive to Palo Alto). It was times like these when us Winchesters felt most at ease. Just the windows down, the country side stretched out miles beyond our reach, the radio sitting on a volume that sat between a soft hum and the threshold of pain. It was times like these when we forgot that we lived a dangerous life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hello there friends. I would just like to say that if you're reading this again, there are changes because it's been rewritten. For newbies, I'm so glad you got here after I fixed the monstrosity of the first chapter. I already love you guys! I love reading your messages and comments so please don't be afraid to do so. In the following, all characters except Emerson belong to Supernatural and The CW Network. I do not own anything in this story besides the girl you're reading about. All rights go to the creators/writers of the show.

With love, xxE

Status: Rewritten