Chapter 2: The Vial

Start from the beginning

She goes back to the table, grabs the vial and opens it. She pours a small amount of oil in her palm, making it sure that it will be enough and the assurance that the remaining oils inside will last up to nine more usage. After pouring a small amount of oil, she rubs the oil lightly between her palms and applies it to her scalp massaging it. After a few seconds, her hair started to change in appearance, starting from roots to tips, her hair started to change color from shiny black to a fine honey blond, then afterwards change from soft straight to a nice, soft ringlets.

She can somehow make a simple hair dye from a bigos plant but does not want to do it as this plant somehow do major damage on hair and at the same time, her hair is her pride that justify her being a natural healer. Her mother, Elen, used this same plant bigos to create this oil; however, her mother's unique ability is to be able to remove the side effects of any herbs. The effect of the oil only last for a maximum of seven hours, her hair will slowly return to its natural straight, black hair once it reaches its limit. She gathers her hair and put into a high bun and let loose ringlets to her shoulders on the side. She puts on her black cloak, grabs the vial and hides it inside her cloak's pocket. She grabs her basket full of prepared herbs and medicines then walk towards Algom.

Upon arrival in Algom, she was surprised that no one is at the entrance of town waiting for her arrival for a treatment. Most of the time, townspeople seize her, grab her, everyone wants their patients to be treated first as the townspeople know that her stay in town is only for a few hours and will be back a week or two. She asks a girl running towards the market place.

"Where are the townspeople little lady? Does no one need my services today?" Valen asked the girl politely.

"Oh, hi Valen." Then she curtsied as a sign of respect. "Uhm, I think there are some that needed healing today, I even have small wound on my elbow as I stumbled a while ago because I was running too fast...but, I am in a hurry, people are already there in the market so maybe you can treat me a little later." The girl explained while showing her small wound.

"I think we should treat that small wound immediately, I am sure you do not want it to be infected with any dirt or germs. It will be very quick as your wound is small."

"Uhm, okay Valen." The girl agreed.

They go to the nearest barrel of water and Valen cleans the wound. She grabs a small bottle filled with powdered herbs and puts some on the wound, and then she covers it with a gagel leaf.

"What is your name little lady?" Valen asks the girl as she ties a piece of cloth around her elbow to keep the wound away from infections and to hold the powder and leaf in place.

"My name is Anna." The girl answers.

"Anna, what a lovely name."

"Uhm, thanks Valen." Ana said bashfully. "Your name is lovely as well."

"Why thank you Ana. By the way, why are you heading towards the market place? Is there any problem?" Valen asked.

"I heard from my mom that Lord Thomas is visiting today in Algom. My mom's said that it is something about Yel. I just want to go there to see Lord Thomas." Anna explained excitedly. "You can go to the market too Valen."

Having mentioned that it is probably something about Yel, she will definitely go and see what this is all about. "I definitely will, Ana, but you can go on ahead without me. I still need to return my things back on the basket. Promise me you will not run to avoid any accident."

"I promise Valen. Bye."

"Bye Ana, see you later."

They both wave hands and afterwards, Valen places the bottle and pieces of cloth back to her basket. Her mind is now occupied by the thoughts of Lord Thomas being in town to say something about Yel. She stands up and headed towards the market place. She already sees a huge crowd far away. She stays a bit further away from the huge crowd near a fruit stall. After a few minutes, she saw Lord Thomas, standing on a prepared platform facing the huge crowd, and then Lord Thomas started to address the crowd.

"Good day my fellow Algomians. As some of you still remembered that last two days ago was the fourth year death anniversary of our fellow Yelian. It would seem that this has already been not just MY practice, but is already OUR practice to gather all together to remember them, to pay respect, to pray for them."

Valen was surprised and astonished of what she's hearing but she just remained silent and listened to what Lord Thomas is about to further say.

"As some of you are still unaware of our history, let me tell you about our fellow Yelian which I have already told our fellow Helenians about this last two days ago, the history about why the black-haired healers were thrown far to the eastern end part of Cellis, the Yel town. It was about nine generations ago, it was my late great, great, great, GREAT grandfather, Lord Philip, who lead the land of Cellis. Black, straight-haired healers were still living here in Algom , they lived here as our healers, they lived at the eastern end part of this town which is presently a farm where our cows and sheep graze. One day, a plague spread throughout Algom, a Hensick, it is a newborn's skin disease. All Algom newborn children were infected but only the black-haired newborns were healthy and unaffected; that made further suspicions that they are the ones who spread this disease and the townspeople made the assumptions that they cursed their newborns. As you all know, they have this kind of strange power and they have unique abilities that none of us have, that is why they were called witches. Making the story short, they were thrown further away from Helena and Algom; they were thrown to a place where they were unguarded and late Lord Philip made it even harder for these healers to go inside Helena or Algom." Lord Thomas paused for a while then continued.

"It had been our fault. Injustice and incorrect accusation were the biggest fault of the royal family. Those previous lords of Cellis were very stubborn to admit their fault. Black-haired healers were not the ones who spread Hensick, but rather, they were the ones who saved YOU, who us. This disease was caused by a certain flower called henedais, every tip of the petals is yellow in color and orange at the middle, it has six slightly frilled petals. Its pollen can easily be dispersed through wind which if it made contact on a newborn's skin may cause rashes. Henedais were very abundant during those days, but since it has harmful effects on our newborns which our ancestors did not know, they were eradicated covertly, removed around Algom by our fellow black-haired healers and after a week, all infants were healed. They eventually informed Lord Philip but being so stubborn, Lord did not ask for the return of all healers back to Algom. He did not even inform our townspeople that the spread of hensick was not the black-haired healers fault. As years passed, succeeding Lords were not successful in persuading the Yelians to go back here in Algom. They were already anxious to be labeled "witches" by our ancestors and with that I deeply apologize to Yelians though I think it is already too late. We still do not have any leads of who the culprit was, but we are not giving up in finding out who they are or who he is or who she is. I ask now for a moment of silence and pray for the souls of our fellow Yelians."

Valen was flabbergasted, at the same time, relieved that it was neither an Algomian nor Helenian who killed her fellow healers, as the speech has clearly stated their innocence and sympathy towards the Yelians, but she knows she should stay vigilant; someone probably is deceitful and unfaithful. However, having heard Lord Thomas speech makes her relieved somehow. After a few moments of silence, the chief soldier walks up the platform and whispered something to Lord Thomas, and then Lord Thomas spoke once more.

"I just heard great news; I have been looking forward for this day to come for how many years now. I really wanted to invite this person to the mansion and thank her properly. I wish to invite you to the mansion for at least a tea with us, Lady Valen, the healer." Lord Thomas exclaimed.

=====================

Hi guys! Sorry if it seems a bit slow but this is how I write I guess; on the next chapter, Valen and Lord Edward will finally meet.