Chapter Seventeen: Amanda's Advice

When I woke up, my head was on Garret’s chest. I looked up at him through my lashes and saw him sleeping quietly. His mouth was slightly open, and he was snoring softly. I smiled; somehow sleeping made him a lot cuter.

I raised my head and stretched. Careful not to wake up Garret, I stood up and stretched once more. As if on cue, my phone rang to life but luckily, it didn’t wake up Garret.

“Hello?” I said quietly, turning away.

“Melanie?”

Jerome’s voice made me freeze. I didn’t respond for a minute. I just stood there, holding my phone on my ear, my mouth hanging open. Then I shook my head and sighed. “Um, hi Jerome?” It sounded more of a question than a statement.

“You didn’t come home last night,” he informed me. “Where are you? Are you with Heather?”

“Didn’t Mom tell you where I am?”

“No she didn’t.”

I bit my lip. What the hell should I tell Jerome? I don’t want to lie to him but it seemed like I have no choice. Even though I have no real feelings for him, that I like Garret more than him, he’s still my boyfriend.

“Listen, I can’t tell you where I am,” I said rather apologetically. “I-I can’t tell you.”

“Why not?” he asked incredulously. “I’m your boyfriend.”

“I know! But, Jerome—”

“Are you with him?”

I pursed my lips. It doesn’t take a smart person to know who he means by “him.” “No, I’m not with him,” I replied smoothly and surely.

“Oh? So why don’t you tell me where you are?” he interrogated.

“I’m in Amanda Peterson’s house!” I blurted out without thinking. Then my eyes widened and I immediately clapped my hand on my mouth. Crap.

“Amanda Peterson? Your human friend?” Jerome said, genuinely surprised. “What are you doing there in Chicago?”

“I was just… visiting her.”

“Who drove you there? I know you don’t live driving. And I know you didn’t walk to go to Chicago. That would seem suspicious for Amanda. So just spill it. Who are you with and why are you there?”

“Okay, fine! Amanda’s marriage is in two weeks and I told Garret to drive me there.”

There was a moment of silence from him. Then: “So you’re with Garret?”

I sighed and nodded, though he couldn’t see me. “Yes.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t be like that, Jerome,” I pleaded him. “Please. Just understand. Garret and I… we’re only friends!”

“I’m not stupid, Melanie. I know you still have feelings for him,” he said and sighed. “I’m coming to get you there.”

“No!”

“I will. Tell me where Amanda lives.”

I hesitated. What if Amanda moved from her house? How am I supposed to know where she lives now? “Um…”

“You don’t know where she lives?”

“She’s still asleep,” I lied. “I can’t ask her.”

Jerome sighed and I can imagine him rubbing his temples to calm himself. “Fine. Text me when she’s awake.”

“Okay, fine. I’ll see you later. Bye, Jer—” But he had already hung up.