Chapter Three: Ashley Berry

Dedicated to guessitright because she's a Filipina (like me) and a Swiftie (like me). :) Go fan her because she's a nice person! :D

_____________________________________________________________________________

“Sorry I'm late,” I apologized, a blush blooming on my cheeks.

My parents sighed and smiled at me and I returned their smile apologetically. The others weren't that forgiving, though. Some shook their head disapprovingly and I even heard someone in the back muttering, “God help us.”

 “Where have you been, Melanie?” Dad asked as I approached them. 

Sitting down on my seat beside my mother, I answered, “I forgot about it. I'm really, really sorry. I... I wasn't thinking clearly.”

“Obviously,” someone snapped just behind us.

I turned and frowned at the girl who said that. “Did we invite you in our conversation?” I shot back nastily.

Mom placed her hand on my shoulder. “Drop it, Melanie. It's not worth it.” She gave the girl a look. “And please Ashley, mind your own business. Some things aren't meant for you to know or hear.”

I turned back, ignoring the tingle inside my stomach. Ashley... That name sounds so familiar. It couldn't be Ashley Berry, right? The girl that Roxanne told me that Garret's spending a lot of time with? Surely it can't be her... That girl was a bitch and I know Garret -- he doesn't date bitches.

Sighing, I shook my head. Okay. It's time to clear my head and go listen at our meeting. 

My parents reign in the Vampire kingdom should have ended four years ago and Garret should be the king. But then I arrived and they learned I am the Vampire princess. Others told my parents that I should be trained because really, would you give the crown to a person who doesn't even know how to lead? Others, on the other hand, said that Garret still should have it because he was trained to do so. But whatever they say doesn't matter because the final decision ends up with my parents. And they both agreed that I should be trained so our bloodline shall continue ruling the Vampire kingdom.

But seriously? I can't do it.

I don't know how to lead. I never wanted to be a leader of some kind. Even at school, I try not to draw attention so that no one would nominate me as a leader. But now I have all the attention that's possible and I will be the leader in God knows when.

“Bring in the prisoner,” Dad commanded.

The doors opened and I leaned closer to Mom and asked, “What's up?”

“A vampire was caught stealing inside a human's house. When the human tried to call the police, the vampire attacked him but he didn't injured him that bad... He just attacked him and got away with it.”

“And?”

“And, as the Vampire council, we are supposed to decide whether to kill the vampire.”

My eyes widened. “Why? I mean, he didn't injure the human that bad, right? He was just... he was just...”

“Stealing?” Mom offered. “Stealing is not allowed. Especially when we steal something from a human. Besides, the vampire had hurt the human. It's also strictly against the laws to hurt a human.”

I kept my mouth shut. Three men stepped in the room. Two of them were the vampire cops and between them was a man. He was wearing a striped orange jumpsuit, like they wear in prison. His expression didn't give away anything. The cops led him on the center of the council room. He sat on the chair obediently while the other two positioned themselves behind him.