Chapter Eight: Lucky

I walked inside Xayranne and Flynn’s room. Still glowering angrily, I threw open a closet which looks like Xayranne’s. I grabbed a random shirt and closed the closet door.

“I should have listened to Garret,” I grumbled. “Those kids really are monsters.”

I threw my cardigan and tank top filled with ketchup and mayonnaise to the floor. I was standing there, on the middle of the room, only wearing my skirt and bra. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples. Oh my, I’m getting stressed. Children who have Flynn’s genes should not be messed with.

“Melanie, the kids—”

With shock, I turned to the door and there was Garret, halfway to opening the door. His eyes were wide as he gazed down at me. Then I suddenly remembered I am lacking a few clothes.

“Shit,” I cursed as I tried to cover my body with my hands.

“Sorry, sorry,” Garret apologized then closed the door shut loudly.

I groaned and shook my head. Well, that was embarrassing.

Quickly but surely, I slipped on Xayranne’s shirt. It went well with my skirt, so it’s okay with me. I grabbed my cardigan and tank top then left the room. While walking down the stairs, I heard Garret talking impatiently with the kids.

“Melanie and I are going to take you to the diner—”

“Diner? What’s a diner?”

An exasperated sigh from Garret. “It’s where people eat.”

“Isn’t that called a restaurant?” Jennifer said thoughtfully.

“Or eatery?” James suggested.

“It’s just the same!” Garret snapped.

“But why do you call it ‘diner’?”

Garret looked up and saw me walking down the stairs. He smiled at me then turned to the kids. “Now why don’t you stop annoying me then annoy Melanie, hmm?”

The children looked up at me and grinned. “Melanie!” they cried and ran to me as soon as I stepped the final step.

I smiled awkwardly and patted their heads. As if they haven’t drenched me with ketchup and mayonnaise earlier. “Hey, kids.”

“We’re taking them to the diner where you sing,” Garret informed me.

“Oh, that’s nice. I’m supposed to work there today anyway.”

“You sing?” Jennifer asked, staring at me with that green eyes of hers.

“Some of the times,” I replied, smiling. “I sometimes sing in the diner where we will eat.”

James grinned excitedly. “So are you going to sing while we’re eating?”

“Maybe. If the owner would permit me.”

“Oh they would, don’t worry,” Garret said, smirking.

I don’t know what he meant by that so I just rolled my eyes.

“Come on, kids, let’s better go to the diner,” I said, smiling at them. Maybe they could be tamed and be good nice children who can actually behave…

“What’s a diner again?” Jennifer asked.

Then again, they might not be.

*** 

“Melanie! You’re here,” Kenneth, the owner of the diner, said.