Chapter 30: Is this goodbye? Part 1

Start from the beginning

I secured myself to Toothless before activating his tail, which helped us get back up in the air in zero time.

"Alright everyone, I'll take care of big guy over here, you guys chase away the smaller ones!" I instructed my friends, whom all happily complied as they made their way back over to the smaller Razor Claws who were busy terrorizing the village.

I took a deep breath as I was faced with the blaring nostrils of the Razor Claw yet again. I placed my hands on either sides of Toothless' head and pressed my body against his back. "Let's do this, Toothless"

Toothless inhaled, loading up a large and powerful plasma blast before firing it full force at the Razor Claw, which almost made steam shoot out of his nostrils. Toothless flapped his wings as fast as we could, bringing us higher and higher until even he struggled to breathe correctly.

The mighty Razor Claw fired another ball of fire at us, which we narrowly avoided by dropping a few feet. I looked down at Berk, which looked so small from the altitude we were at. I tapped Toothless lightly on the side, signaling that it was time for us to go down.

The night fury complied, sending us plummeting down towards the island at a breakneck speed with a ridiculously large Razor Claw on our heels. The Razor Claw prepared to fire at us again, but we anticipated its move and surprised it with the biggest and most powerful plasma blast Toothless had to offer right in the mouth, which set the Razor Claw's insides on fire, in true Red Death style.

We managed to maneuver ourselves over to the hills outside the village, where the Razor Claw crashed, but this time without a large explosion, only a large dent and the body of an oversized Razor Claw.

Unfortunately for us, the speed at which we had been going had become too high for Toothless, causing him to knock me off his back before letting himself roll down one of the remaining hills to slow down.

I landed on the ground with a loud 'thud' and let out a groan as I tried to get up, I crossed my fingers that I hadn't broken anything.

My friends eventually came running up to me from the village, where their dragons were busy fending off the remaining Razor Claws.

"Hiccup, are you alright?" My mother asked as she helped me up, worry etched into her face.

"Yes, I'm fine, but Toothless—"

"Uh, Hiccup" Snotlout said in a very high pitched voice as he stared at something behind me with wide eyes.

"What is it now, Snotlout?" I asked him, a little exhausted from my standoff with the gigantic Razor Claw. But it was as I turned towards what he and everyone else was staring at that I felt the color drain from my face.

With what seemed to be the last of its strength, the Razor Claw rose up on it's wobbly arms with a weak, but deep roar as steam once again began pouring out of its mouth.

"Oh Thor" I gulped as I motioned for my friends and mother to back away. "Toothless!"

Astrid's POV

"Toothless!" The ridiculously large dragon that had held me captive earlier had managed to rise back up and seemed to be preparing to finish off the Chief.

My eyes shot back and forth between the dragon and the Chief before something clicked in my mind, like the last piece of a puzzle falling into place.

An image of a young boy with auburn hair, emerald green eyes, a fur vest and a green tunic appeared in my mind along with the worst headache in the history of mankind. But this time, I recognized the boy my mind had conjured up.

I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, he stood right in front of me, a lopsided smile on his face as he twirled his thumbs.

"Hiccup" A smile spread across my face as I ran up to the skinny twig in front of me and wrapped my arms around him, nearly knocking him into the lake behind him.

"No need to be so brutal!" Hiccup chuckled as he hugged me back, his arms snaking their way around my waist.

I shook my head as I let out a chuckle as well. "Brutal is my middle name, it's about time you got used to it"

"You're probably right, you're always right" I felt a smile appear on his face.

"Of course I am" I pulled away from him and we locked eyes. "Someone in this relationship needs to be"

Every black spot in my memory had been filled and I could finally remember everything I had forgotten.

Again, my gaze landed upon the boy in front of the big, scary dragon, the boy I had lived for years, the boy I had promised to marry, the boy I recognized as the love of my life: Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III.

Involuntarily, my legs started moving and before I knew it, I was running towards Hiccup as fast as I could, my protective instincts over him kicking in at full force.

There was nothing else that mattered, nothing else that would ever matter if Hiccup wasn't a part of my life. I couldn't bear the thought of losing another day with him, I couldn't bear the thought of having to shoot a flaming arrow at his ship, which is why I did the only logical thing anyone would do for the light of their life, their reason for living.

I launched myself at Hiccup, effectively shoving him out of the way of the dragon fire, but instead ended up being caught in it myself. Words couldn't describe the immense pain I felt in that moment.

The flames licked up my skin like hot iron was being splashed onto my back, I could feel the flames eating through my clothes and gnawing at my raw skin. The pain from the fire was so immense that I couldn't even hear myself releasing the most agonized and pained scream anyone had ever heard.

My vision blurred as I felt my body slowly shutting down. My hearing had most likely gone out long ago and my head was already soaring high up above the clouds.

But when I locked eyes with Hiccup, it was like all the pain vanished. I had done it, I had saved him, the love of my life. I had saved Hiccup from the nearly unbearable pain I was in, and that was all I would ever need to know.