Chapter 20: I love you

Astrid's POV

I hadn't seen Hiccup in days. The only times I had seen him were either at dinner (which he usually finished pretty quickly) or running around the village before the sun had risen. I usually brushed it off as Chief duties and went on with my day.

My friends and I had gathered at the academy. Classes were over for the week, and we were happy to just relax together, like we did back when we were teenagers.

"So, what's up with Hiccup? I haven't seen him around in a while" Snotlout pointed out from where he sat in the water tray, which he had ended up in after annoying his Monstrous Nightmare.

"How very unusual of Hiccup..." Tuffnut scratched his chin as he narrowed his eyes at Fishlegs, who was reading beside a sleeping Ruffnut. Fishlegs' head shot up at the mention of Hiccup's name.

"Ha ha, yes, very unusual" Fishlegs stuttered as he began turning red, purposely avoiding my gaze. "But it's probably nothing to worry about!"

"Are you sure about—"

"A GUSTAV!" The squeaky voice of the familiar teenager ripped through our ears as he interrupted Snotlout. The whole group let out a collective groan at the young Viking .

"What are you doing here, Gustav?" Snotlout narrowed his eyes at Gustav, completely forgetting his interrogation of Fishlegs.

"Yes, why are you here, Gustav? Ruff and I still hate you for filling in our boar pit!" Tuffnut growled, arms crossed as his sister let out an agreeing sound from where she napped against the side of their dragon.

"I'm here for Astrid!" A grin spread across his face. I raised a brow at the Viking as I let out a whistle.

"That's very sweet of you, Gustav, but it seems I have to go now" I said, walking towards the center of the arena as Stormfly landed beside me.

My friends all chuckled as I climbed on top of my dragon, leaving Gustav and the arena as fast as possible.

***

"So, where are we going?" I asked Hiccup as I rested my chin on his shoulder, arms wrapped around his waist as Berk grew smaller and smaller.

"You'll see" Hiccup smiled as he leaned forwards and patted Toothless on the top of his head.

I shrugged as I hugged his back, his warmth radiating onto me and keeping me warm. Before I knew it, we passed through the clouds. As we flew over them, my breath and attention was caught by the night sky surrounding us.

Green, pink and blue flames danced across the starry night sky, reminding me of the first time Hiccup took me on a flight, the first time I ever rode a dragon. Again, I rested my chin on his shoulder, pressing a kiss to his cheek as I knew he must've been planning the whole thing for some mysterious reason.

We touched down at the cove, another place we had shared a memory or two. Hiccup slid off Toothless before me, and offered his hand to help me down from the dragon.

I chuckled as I accepted his hand and he helped me down, before guiding me closer to the lake where we sat down.

I turned my head up, my attention immediately drawn to the twinkling stars above.

"How is it possible for something to be so gorgeous?" I muttered, my gaze never leaving the night sky.

"That's the same question I ask myself every time I look at you" I could practically feel the smirk on his face. I tore my gaze away from the stars as I turned to the muttonhead beside me.

"Gods, you're cheesy, Haddock" I joked as I punched him playfully in the arm, earning a chuckle from him.

"You know you love it" His emerald green eyes shone as another smile lit up his face and he wrapped and arm around my shoulder.

***

"We should probably get going now, it's getting late" I pointed out as I stood up from the spot we had been sitting in for the past hour, making sure I stretched a little before we would get back up on Toothless, who was currently fast asleep under a small tree.

"Wait" Hiccup said, taking a hold of my hand.

I furrowed my brows at him. "Hiccup, is everything alright?"

A slight smile danced across Hiccup's lips as he quickly changed positions, from sitting in the grass to down on one knee in front of me. I let out an audible gasp as he pulled a ring from his pocket.

"Astrid, I have loved you for as long as I can remember. You are the most beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes on and I still can't comprehend how lucky I am for being the man you chose to be your boyfriend. But today I ask for more. Astrid, I know we've had some rough times, some bumps in the road if you will, but we've always gotten through them and we will always get through them, only this time as husband and wife. Astrid, you are the love of my life, my soulmate, my other half and seeing as you've always been there for me, from now on I want to always be there for you. I love you, Astrid Hofferson, will you marry me?" Hiccup asked, voice and body trembling as he nervously awaited my answer.

I swallowed the lump that had gathered in my throat as I couldn't help but grin at the man in front of me. "Yes, of course I'll marry you, you big knucklehead!"

I wrapped my arms around his neck as he stood up and hugged me back. I placed a sweet kiss on his lips before letting him slide the silver band onto my finger.

"So this is why we haven't seen much of you these past few days?" I asked him as I raised my hand, studying the silver ring with an engraved axe in it and my name.

"Yup" Hiccup's thumb ran across my cheek. "Do you like it?"

I smiled at him once again. "It's perfect, thank you"