xlviii

"luke's such a baby," ashley stated when michael picked her up for school that morning, after he had informed her of luke's reaction.

michael nodded glumly. he was of two minds about the split between himself and luke.

sometimes - typically just after he woke up and just before he went to sleep - he was sad. other times - any time he wasn't sad, really - he was angry at luke for overreacting and turning a beautiful relationship into an ugly one.

"he's a little shit," michael said, finally getting out of his sad, luke-induced haze for that morning.

ashley nodded her head curtly in agreement.

"well, you're graduating in less than a month! how do you feel?" ashley asked, her cheery voice radically different from the silence that had engulfed them.

michael shrugged. "i'm starting to rethink the whole college thing. i mean, i was accepted to a few places, so i don't have to stay here. i just don't know."

michael pulled into a parking spot right in front of the school and shut off the engine. neither of them made any effort to get out of the car.

"hey," ashley said.

michael looked over at her, once again in a depressed state, but this time over his future.

"you know i want you stay here. i'm going to miss you so much, even if you do. but i don't want you to live your life for me or for anyone else. do it for you. if you want to go, then go. if you want to stay, stay. it's up to you, mikey."

michael smiled and pecked her on the cheek. "thank you."

ashley shrugged, but her seemingly apathetic manner was shattered by the goofy grin she then sported. "what are friends for?"

the bell rang, and it was heard as a muffled sound from inside the car. "better get to class if you want to go to college at all," ashley giggled.