xlii

michael stood outside luke's house, trying to work up the courage to knock on his front door.

of course, the relationship between the two boys was fine. possibly even better than before. but luke still hadn't said anything to liz.

after taking in a deep breath, michael knocked on the front door. he held his breath as he waited for liz to answer the door.

he knew luke would be sleeping. michael had walked over before leaving for school, which luke would not be starting until the next day, and had every intention of telling liz he was seeing her son.

luke and michael had talked about it the night before and agreed michael should tell her.

the door opened, and michael was met with a wide eyed liz.

"morning, ms. hemmings. um, i just wanted to-"

"shouldn't you be getting to school?" liz interrupted.

"yeah, but first i wanted to te-" michael tried again.

"you should rea-"

"i'm dating your son!" michael shouted.

liz stared at him blankly, and michael spied luke watching the scene from the top of the stairs.

michael carried on. "i love luke. he's one of the best things that's ever happened to me, and he makes me feel like the happiest person ever. and we both know i make him happy too. so, regardless of whether you like me or not, i'm going to keep seeing him."

michael shot luke a wink.

"i'm sorry," liz muttered. "i know you make my son happy, and i know i should have just let you two be in the first place. i know i caused all the trouble between you two, and i can't help but feel responsible. i just...even if i don't like it, my son's happiness comes first. and you make him happy. i just hope you can...forgive me."

"it's chill, liz," michael smiled.

luke snickered at michael's choice of words, and they both turned to look at him.

michael shook his head and stuck his hands in pockets. "well, i'm gonna head to school now, liz. see you tomorrow, luke."

liz waved goodbye as michael walked back toward his house and shut the door.

"he makes you happy?" liz asked.

"very," luke answered.

"then i guess i'd better get used to him."

luke nodded. "i think he'll be around for a while."

woo liz is chill now

um today is my birthday yeeh