xliii

luke slumped in the passenger seat of michael's car, which michael had parked in his driveway.

michael was standing just outside, leaning on the open driver's side door and talking to liz. luke was returning to school today, and michael was reassuring liz that he wouldn't allow anything bad to happen to luke.

finally, michael sat in the driver's seat and started the car. luke waved to his mother as they backed out of the driveway and started on their way to school.

"you shouldn't have stayed talking for so long. we're gonna be late to school," luke muttered, slightly angry at himself for deciding to go back.

michael rolled his eyes. "we have twenty minutes until it starts, luke."

luke sighed and slumped further into his seat. michael looked over at him and turned the radio down, so that luke couldn't exactly make out the words but could still hear the tune.

"hey, you're gonna be okay. i'm not going to let you not be okay," michael told the younger boy, placing a reassuring hand on his thigh.

when luke didn't respond in any way, michael added, "and if you're good, we can get ice cream after school."

luke nodded and sat up straight, giving a small smile.

michael smirked. "good."

i'm currently driving to florida (from texas) so don't be too surprised if i update again in a little while

also, thank you for all the birthday wishes last chapter! i felt bad not thanking each individual person, but there were quite a few people haha. so thank you!