"Yes, I'm positive. Go back to sleep." With that he pushed me off the top bunk. My fragile body slammed into the floor shortly to be accompanied with the tears were threating to jerk over my eyelids.

Nick frantically jumped down the ladder and took me in his arms this time. "I'm sorry, Kayten I promise I didn't mean to."

Silent wet, salty, drops trickled down my cheeks, knowing if I cried too loud Mom and Dad wouldn't be happy. My vocal cords were strained with my tears and talking was impossible now. "I'm sorry Kayten..."

We sat remained silenced while he held me, listening closely to the stiff air. Mom and Dad had gone to bed and Nick began to weep quietly again.

After months of these silenced midnight cries Nick finally confided in me. Telling me his baseball coach had been making him and few of the other teammates uncomfortable. Being so young neither of us could have predicted what would come of it, and neither of us wanted too.

Mom and Dad had told us before that no one is supposed to touch you besides them or a doctor; and if anyone does you should tell someone. I didn't think anyone would have the guts to do anything like that to anyone, but I was sure wrong.

I lived in a world so colorful, where the monsters could be slayed by songful tunes, and bad guys only existed in movies.

But reality would soon kick in for all of us.

Nick became less afraid of his coach and stopped crying in the middle of the night. He never did tell Mom or Dad about what he had been feeling. But things were starting to look up; well for Nick anyways.

I was seeing things appear more frequently. My days were getting worse and worse, Mom was getting even more worried and suggested I start talking to someone. Dad hesitantly agreed and shortly after that I started visiting a man, in a small white room. He would talk with me about my week, we would discuss things like how I was feeling and what I was seeing. He talked to me about things that other people didn’t know about, but he understood.

This man quickly became my best friend. He would give me a sucker after each visit and he had a cool stuffed tiger in his office. He would talk to mom afterwards and they would say big words that I couldn't understand. Mom's face would always be over washed with stress lines after we would leave.

After I started seeing this man, the arguing between Mom and Dad escalated. They would harbor their words until we were off to bed but I still could hear them sometimes. Dad always said things like “This is my fault” and Mom would respond with “This can’t be happening.”

One night, while my parents were fighting downstairs, I laid alone in my room. Nick having a sleepover at James’s house after winning a baseball game. Dad had tucked me in and shut the door, I knew I was alone in my room. I tried to fall asleep quickly that night but I kept hearing a small blubbering coming from above me.

Laying stiff and straight I tried to ignore it. Heart racing with fear I was terrified as to what would be up there. I swallowed stiff just as I felt someone tap on my collar bone; my eyes flickered open without my permission, and what I saw shocked me.

It was Nick, standing over me.

Forcing my eyes shut again I sealed them off, vowing not to open them until morning, and that is exactly what I did.

Mom woke me up that next morning with a kiss and a tug of the sheets. "Morning," was her usual greeting. "Dad doesn't have work today, he was wondering if you wanted to go with him for a drive."

I hadn't sleep well that night so getting up took longer than usual. With tired eyes I got dressed in the clothes she had laid out on the floor for me and made my way down the stairs to the kitchen with little effort.