Chapter 8

"I--you--we...." he said, sounding very nervous. I could tell he was struggling. There was sweat on his brows and forehead. He looked like he was running. I desperately wanted one of his famous hugs, the one that could warm people up on the coldest of nights. "I--I didn't mean to... hurt you..." he whispered softly, walking up to me and running his thumb across my cheek, where a tray tear fell. "I'm so sorry." I wanted to say "It's okay" or "I forgive you", but before I could force the words from my mouth, I realized that Jason needs to learn how fucked up he gets when he's stoned... This is the only way to help him. "No, Jason." I cried silently. His eyes darkened. "You chose to get high. You chose to drink until you could barely stand." I felt his pain. I heard his hsart race. I saw in his eyes the regret that mirrored mine. "I didn't know I would--" I immediately cut him off. "No, Jason! It's happened before! You're getting worse! If you're going to drink, you should've at least stopped before..." I looked up at him, and his face was full of guilt. It hurt to see him that way, but he has this coming. "You could've hurt me even more than you already have... you could've done worse... if Bree and Zack weren't there." When I was done, a tear fell from his eyes, which punched me right in the gutt. He stared at me, never letting my hand go. "I'm done with that. I promise. I would never ever hurt you... because I love you, Darien..." he whispered, with a soft, mellow tone in his voice. My heart melted. He didn't just say that... did he? He loves me? "What?" I whispered under my breath, feeling my neck constrict. "I said that I love you." I never thought I would hear those words come out of his mouth... I thought I never had a chance...  He loves me? "I--I love you too..." I mumbled. Teared rolled down my cheek, chin, and onto the bed, leaving marks on the sheet. His mouth twisted into a subtle smile. Then, he slowly reached down to touch my cheeks again. It felt good. "I never ever wanted to hurt you... Please, say you forgive me?" I looked straight into his eyes as he bent down so we were eye level. My eyes began to slowly close as I leaned in closer without even noticing. I looked up at him and took a sharp breath in through my mouth. "Please..." he whispered over my lips. I felt the heat of his breath, which surged through my entire body. I've always pictured this moment, and if happened exactly like this, except, you know, we weren't in my hospital room. To show him I forgave him, I leaned into him and stole a kiss. When our lips met, ig was like heaven. I felt every nerve tingle. "I've been waiting for this moment since the day I met you..." Jason said, pulling away slowly. I just smiled and pulled him into a hug. I don't know what to make of today... I'm confused about it. We laid in the bed for hours, not saying a word. I just listened to his heart beating, until I unwillingly fell asleep in his arms.

When I awoke, the sun peaked through the blinds and onto my eyes. I lift my arm to block the blinding light. I felt the emptiness beside me. Jason was gone. I wasn't surprised. I bet one of the nurses told him to leave. My eyes were still closed. My eye lids felt so heavy and droopy, but then I heard shifting in the chair beside me. My eyes shot open with surprise. My mother was sitting down with her head leaning against the cement wall and her eyes closed. I looked to my right, toward the door, which was slightly ajar. I heard the different sounds that echoed through the hospital, babies crying, squeaky hospital bed's wheels turning, the sound of shoes tapping on the tile, and the sirens downstairs. I could even hear the silent cries of patients in the next few rooms. Every little sound, peep, or whine, hit me in an inatant, waking me up from my daze. Every cry was so loud and distinct, and I was literally drowning in all the noises around me, which scarred me forever. One voice called my name, "Darien?" Then, everything faded as her voice grew louder. Here I thought that she was there to comfort me... to finally be my mom again... then she says, "You and Jason... I forbid it." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Whenever I get my hopes up, I turn a corner and meet face to face with disappointment. It's not like I haven't met him before. In fact, he follows me around everywhere. It's just that sometimes I forget he's there, until something like this happens... That's what I get for hoping. "What?" I gasped in shock. She can't do that! I'm almost done with high school! I had to start sticking up for myself. "You heard me!" She quickly said. It was like she expected me to say that. It was almost obvious that she rehearsed it all. "You can't do that! Wait... were you the one who told him to leave?!?!" Again, with the same tone, she said, "I am still your mother, and you still need to live by my rules!" My blood began to boil, which, as you can imagine, I made perfectly clear to my mother. "No, you aren't!" I yelled at her, feeling a raspy growl start at the back of my throat. It felt good! "Since when have you ever been a mother to me?" I asked her. She shiftedin her seat, taking her purse and putting it down on the floor beside her. "Darien Shade, you'd better watch your tone, or I'll--" I let it all go--all the frustration and anger I've held inside me.... all of it. "Or you'll what?" I yelled, with not a single tear falling down my face. "Huh? You gonna fucking call your husband again? You gonna take his side... again?!?! What? You tell me what you're going to do, mother!" No words were spoken for a few moments... It was just complete silence... until I continued, "Ever since you said 'I do' to that fucking asshole you have not been my mother. You've been everything but my mother. What was your reaction to me being in the hospital for a week, huh?" She cleared her throat and looked at me with emotionless eyes. "I love him, Dare." She mumbled. Then that's when I knew I would never get my mother back. That just fueled my rage even further. "Good. That settles it then. You love him, and that's why I'm left in the dark all the time and his boys are so loved." She stood up and pointed her cold finger at me theateningly. I didn't flinch. "You listen here, Shade. I love you. You're my daughter." Before, I would've believed her and hugged her until my arms hurt, but now, I just want her gone. I said nothing more to her. I think she got the message, because before she left, an hour later, she said, "Fine. Get better, Darien." That was it. That's the last time I ever saw my mother... I know, you might have been expecting a touching moment between mother and daughter. Well, sorry to disappoint.