Chapter 5

The sheets the hospital provides suck ass! I'm freezing! Jesus... How the Hell does anyone survive in this place? I lay awake, staring at the white ceiling and dimmed lights. My head is still aching, even after I took the pain medication that Dr. Harding recommended. And don't say that it just hasn't kicked in yet, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't take 4 hours for freaking Percocet to work! Growing impatient, I decided to at least try and fall asleep. Maybe sleep was all I needed. Well, sleep didn't exactly come easy to me... It never came. All night, I was dead tired, but the pain made it almost impossible to sleep. I could hear the clocks ticking, the wind blowing against my window, the lights flickering, and the few nurses outside my room, talking. I don't know how, but I could. It was so weird and unusual. Sometime during my longest night, I thought about killing myself. Seriously. I thought I was going insane.... or I was already a dead man. Yeah. It would make sense if I was dying. That's the only logical reason that crossed my mind. After the thought crossed my mind, a flash blinded me. Then it happened again! I saw a... man? I was in the forest, bleeding.... Then that man was running closer and closer to me... That's all... Everything just disappeared into nothing. Yeah... You heard me. I was in the forest one second, then, laying back down in the hospital bed. I was quickly brought back to reality. What the fuck was that? I have no fucking clue, but I intend to find out... everything. "Is everything okay?" A nurse was standing right beside me. She looked concerned and kind of freaked out. I had no idea she was there until now. Her hands were holding me down to the bed. What's going on? In seconds, Linda joined her, asking me if I was okay repeatedly. "Yeah..... Why?" I murmured. They stared at each other for a few seconds. Then finally, the second nurse replied with a soft voice, "You were... kind of screaming at me to stop... and.... you were also, maybe, kicking and screaming when I tried to help." My eyes widened. I had no idea... "Oh... I'm sorry! I didn't.... Maybe I was dreaming... I don't know." Her eyes flickered from Linda to me, then back to her. She seemed nervous. "Ms. Shade... Your eyes were open... and very... different." She said slowly. If I didn't know any better, I'd think she just saw a ghost. The poor thing was so scared. Whoops. "Look, Linda can take it from here." She said, then she scurried out with a fake smile. "I'm sorry, Linda... I didn't--"
"It's fine. Rachel get's scared very easily..." She said, checking over the monitors beside me. I'm guessing I really scared Rachel. I didn't mean to. "Get some rest, okay, Darien? You need it." She whispered, while placing her hand on my arm gently. I don't need rest! I need answers! Why won't anybody see that? "Wait! Linda!" I called just before she closed my door. "Yes?" She asked. I looked down and forced myself to ask her. "Do you remember who brought me here? The first time..." She looked destraut for a moment but quickly shook it off. "Yes. I do..." Then she walked over to me again and fear took over. "Please.... just leave it alone... Don't start asking the wrong questions... Don't!" She whispered, leaning down. I couldn't believe how terrified she sounded. It was like nothing I've ever heard. She know something! I have to find out what! "Linda... Tell me who it was." I begged. Then her expression became dark. Her eyes darkened too. "You don't want to know.... Now, go to sleep!" Her soft charms were no where to be seen. She sounded so heartless and cold.... My heart sped up. The monitors started beeping faster and faster. "What's going on?" I asked, without thinking. She looked up at me, then slowly stepped back, eyes wide and full of disbelief. I so badly wanted to know.... "It's already started!" She mumbled. Then, before I could even ask her what that meant, she stormed out of my room. I looked to my right at the beeping machine, showing my heart rate. It was going crazy! Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Faster and faster. I could barely breath! My chest hurt. My mouth hurt. My head hurt. Even my eyes hurt.... I tried to call for help by walking outside, but once I stood up, my legs gave out, and I fell to the floor of my hospital room. A rush of heat came over me, causing me to sweat and burn. I tried to scream for help, but all that could come out of my mouth were growls. What's happening to me? I shut my eyes tight as each wave of pain radiated through my helpless self. My teeth began to throb, when suddenly, I tasted blood. Sharp fangs were growing out of my gums. This is just a nightmare.... I hoped. I didn't want any of this to be real.... my nails grew into these huge, sharp claws. No! No no  no! What's happening to me?!?! Inside, I was screaming, trying to call out for help... but outside, I was frozen and hopeless. Next, I felt hair growing along the side my face, ehich was painfully aching also. My back arched and I let out a howl... Yeah... a fucking howl! My vision changed.... it was better. I could see perfectly in the dark room. It felt like a dream. And at first, I thought it was. I had an urge to kill.... It scared the shit out of me! So what did I do? I ran like Hell.... out the window.... landing on the ground below without a scratch.... across the empty parking lot..... and through the forest.... I never felt so alive.