I opened it and read the first line.

My little love, I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for your eighteenth birthday.

I stopped realizing what this was, who this was. I looked at the bottom very quickly, not trying to read a single word of the whole letter. It was signed, your birth mom.

I gripped the paper in my hand and sat there for a second. My birth mom wrote me a letter and I don't know how to feel about it. It was dated for my eighteenth birthday but why didn't my parents tell me about it. I didn't need to read it and I'm not sure if I was going to. I somewhat understood why they wouldn't tell me about it, but what I couldn't understand is why the seal was broken. It was obvious it was glued shut because there were small tears here and there. That made me angry, but I wanted to compose myself.

I made my way down the ladder with the letter in my back pocket. I decided I was going to give them one more chance, to be honest with me before I ask them about the letter. I folded the ladder back up and slowly made my way down. I was trying to figure out how I was going to ask them, as well as try to wipe the anger from my face.

I stepped down and into the kitchen. They said hi to me and I greeted them back with a fake smile.

"We were just about to call you down, dinner is done." Mom whipped her hands and dipped some soup out from the pot and into a bowl.

"David is coming over, I'll eat when he gets here." I honestly didn't even have an appetite anymore.

"That's fine, is he sleeping over?"

"I don't think so." I felt myself bite the words as they came out my mouth, trying my hardest to now sound angry wasn't working.

"You okay?"

I hated that my dad asked me that. "Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you guys some more about my adoption."

They looked at each other thinking we were past all that. At least that's what they wanted. "Yeah, whatever you wanna talk about."

They grabbed their bowls and I made my way to the dining table. They sat next to each other and I sat across from them. I wasn't sure what to ask them since my mind was focused on the letter. I wanted to blurt out why they would read it, not even ask if they did because I already knew they did. Then again I had a little habit of just blurting things out and I needed to control that urge a bit more.

"When you guys adopted me, did you meet my birth parents?" I saw their faces drop, they were hurt and afraid. "You had to have known I was gonna ask you about them."

"Don't get us wrong, we knew you would eventually. I guess we just never mentally prepared ourselves for it to actually happen." My dad looked spinning his spoon in his soup hoping it'll cool down a bit.

"Honestly Enano, you may be adopted but I sometimes forget. I've gone months forgetting because I've somehow convinced myself I am your birth mom even though I didn't birth you." She took a sip from her soup not caring about the temp.

"When you were growing up and hitting puberty we've spoken about how tall you would probably be, and I've literally said that you'd probably be at least five-ten since I'm that height, your mom had to remind me we couldn't possibly know." Dad looked over at me, a bit sad.

"I want to know about them. I don't have any desire to meet them but it would be nice to know what you guys may know."

"We honestly don't know that much. It was a closed adoption, meaning . . ." My mom stopped and looked at my dad, wondering if she should keep going. "Meaning your parents didn't want you finding them."