6. Promises

“If I do the two of you could be slaughtered like cattle!” Ratchet argued.

        “We won’t!" I countered. "I’m not losing Optimus to that coward! Please, Ratchet. I promise he’s coming back.” I was desperate to bring Optimus back here, and I knew Ratchet had to be worried, too.

        “But what about you? I’m not losing you again!” Miko intervened.

        “I’ll be back," I assured her. "Bulkhead, please, make sure she stays.” I looked at the green mech, and I was sure my desperation was showing in my optics as he nodded at me.

        “Don’t worry about her. Just take care of yourself," Bulkhead said.

        “Wait a minute, we’re all just going to let her go?” Arcee intervened. She almost seemed outraged and conflicted, all at once.

        “We have no choice," Ratchet relented. "Optimus promised you three would leave. He said nothing about Tracy because Megatron had no reason for suspicion that we could pull this off. The medic sighed as he activated the previous coordinates and pulled the lever. “May the AllSpark help us all.”

        I stared as the groundbridge started up. “I mean it Miko. Stay here.” I gave her that one last warning, hoping she listened, and turned, running through the bridge.

        It had opened up behind Megatron, and he was engaged with Optimus in an intense battle, their swords clashing, their cannons firing but not hitting the mark. They were sliding away from each other after they deflected cannon blasts ricocheted, striking the ground.

        'Perfect timing.' That was when Optimus saw me and his optics went wide. It only took that fractional second for the distraction and Megatron took advantage, charged him and punched Optimus in the jaw, sending him flying to the edge of the cliff in a skid.

        I felt my energon boil at the sight. Megatron played dirty, and he was about to get a taste of his own medicine. He was walking toward where Optimus lay, unaware of the scales tilting in favor of the Autobots.

        “What’s the matter, Optimus? You look like you’ve seen a ghost," the warlord taunted.

        He was actually mocking Optimus in the midst of battle, instead of being as alert as he should’ve been. He was cocky, overconfident, and I was going to exploit that. I charged him, hoping he wouldn’t realize I was there until it was too late. I needed to exploit every second I had with the element of surprise.

        Megatron turned his helm to look at where I was coming from much too late. I was too close.

        "Slagging-."

        "Morning, Megs!" I punched him in the side of the helm to stun him and without slowing down, kicked him in the abdomen, struck an uppercut to his jawline. I jumped, kicking him in the skull, and kicked him in the chest on my way down, knocking him off the side of the cliff down to the canyons. I watched him fall.

        To my favor, the tactic had worked. I then kneeled down by Optimus, worried of what kind of damage he’d taken already. “Optimus?" I asked gently. "Optimus are you okay? C’mon, wake up. I know you’re in there.” I patted the side of his faceplate gently.

        Slowly, his optics opened up and looked at me, his vision slowly returning. I couldn't help a small smile. “That’s it. I’ll get you back to base soon. Just wake up, okay. I know you’re okay. You look better than you did the other day. Now, just get up while I take care of your little ‘friend’ down there, okay? I know you’ll be okay.”