Chapter 8

(David's POV)

    I shook my head at the realization that I had gone back on my decision, possibly causing Annette more pain. My head pounded as my alarm went off again, making me turn it off and stand. I quickly showered and got dressed, stumbling through the dark house. My sleep deprived mind taunted me with the memory of my bed and I swayed towards the decision of staying home, the fact that I wouldn't even sleep dawning on me slowly.

    Closing the door softly behind me, I started walking in the direction of the school, putting my headphones in and leaving my problems out of earshot. The walk was shorter than I expected, leaving me with the time to roam the quiet school hallways before the louder kids would walk through the front door. Turning a corner, I immediately backed up at the sight of Annette sitting by her class reading. I turned around and walked in the opposite direction, screaming inwardly at my cowardice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Annette's POV)

    I was restless all of Sunday night, sleeping for twenty minutes before my alarm went off, forcing me out of bed. After quickly getting ready, I ran out the door and headed towards the bus stop. My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket immediately, only to see a Facebook notification. Nervously I put my phone in my bag and wrung my hands, watching the bus turn the corner. I finished my coffee and stepped on the bus, leaning my head against the window and waiting for the bus to move again.

    Stumbling off the bus and then into the school foyer, out of the cold air, I took my gloves and hat off, shaking my hair out and hoping it looked okay. I gripped the articles of clothing tightly and walked to the door of my first class, sitting on the floor and taking a book out of my bag. Relaxing against the wall, I began to read, glancing up occasionally at the people walking past. Thoughts of my phone entered my mind and I shook them away, trying to enter the world of the book in my hands. A tall shape moved in the corner of my eye and I looked up to see David's retreating figure heading the way he had come from. A teacher slipped into the doorway beside me and unlocked the door, gesturing for me to enter. I entered in a trance, thinking of the incidents that had occurred over the weekend. My eyes welled and I blinked quickly, fighting the tears away. The teacher smiled at me and I faked one back, trying to reassure myself of my sanity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(David's POV)

    That night was as restless as the one before, leaving me with growing dark circles under my eyes as I slowly made my way to the cafeteria, scared to see a certain small red head. I took my seat and watched her walk in slowly, looking down when our eyes met. I pulled my phone out as she reached the seat in front of me, watching from behind the screen as she sadly took her book out, opening it to a page close to the end. We sat in a tense silence, pain apparent in her eyes as the minutes slowly ticked away, ripping the opportunity for either of us to speak from under us. I watched as her small figure darted off as the bell rang through my ears, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Annette's POV)

    Tears streamed down my face as I ran down the hall, angry that I hadn't found the guts to even say hi in the last half hour. Running into the nearest bathroom, I completely lost it, letting everything crash down on me at once. I sent a text to my mom, begging her to pick me up early until she relented. A sharp pain lashed through my chest over and over as I calmed myself down long enough to get to class and wait it out.

    As soon as the phone rang I was standing, waiting for the teacher to let me leave. He nodded at me and I turned, almost running down the hallway to escape the place I believed was somewhere I would be happy. I turned my head and glanced down another hallway, seeing David's broad back before walking faster. My eyes watched the ground move under me, only looking up to search for my mother. I ran into her arms, letting her hold me tightly in the school foyer before pulling back in fear of sobbing in school. She pulled me to the car and drove me home. My heart broke into the last few pieces as I entered my room. I closed the door and I crumpled onto my bed, wrapping my arms around myself as tears flowed freely down my cheeks. Shaking under the blanket I had pulled over myself, painful thoughts flew through my head.

    'He doesn't want me anymore. I'm not anything like what he wants and I shouldn't have fought him on his decision. Obviously we're gonna follow through with it anyways. He doesn't care.'

    I shook my head and tried to chase the ideas away, failing miserably. His smiling face popped into my thoughts, reminding me of what I would never have. I cried harder, feeling my mom's arms come around me from nowhere, turning to cry into her chest. She rubbed my back and kissed my head, letting me soak her shirt thoroughly. I slowly ran out of tears, closing my eyes and feeling the endless pain flowing through my mind, body, and soul.