Chapter 2

(David's POV)

I couldn't get enough of this girl. I pulled her out of her shell little by little until she could be herself with me. The only problem was, the more she showed, the darker it got. Annette entered my heart, soul, and mind more and more with every word she spoke or wrote. With the passing of October, her heart healed from Shawn's decisions. By November, I knew every detail of her. The only problem was and still is: she's a freshman and I can't be with her. I knew that she wanted nothing more than to be called mine but everything stopped me from doing so. With November came Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was the day she became filled with joy at the thought of Christmas. Thanksgiving morning she immediately texted me within seconds of waking up.

(My Annette) Good morning sunshine!!! Happy Thanksgiving! 28 days until Christmas!

I laughed at her excitement and quickly answered.

(Me) Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

While waiting for her next text, I stood and started getting ready for the day. Immediately checking my phone as it vibrated.

(My Annette) What are you up to on this beautiful day?

(Me) Just spending some time with family. How about you?

(My Annette) Same. Have fun!

(Me) You too!

I put my phone down and smiled, leaving my room to say good morning to my mom. I turned the tv on and started watching the Macy's day parade, trying to keep the girl who was stealing my heart, out of my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following Monday, I made sure to be at school on time and searched everywhere for the red head I wanted to see. After ten minutes of looking at seven in the morning, I gave up and headed to class deciding to just wait till lunch. I sat through my first two classes patiently, running to my third class and anxiously waiting for the first hour to be up and the lunch bell to ring. The teacher lectured us on the correct wait to fry taco meat and safety with knives. She droned on and on about the same thing, finally stopping as the hour ran out. I jumped up and almost ran down the hall, falling into my seat at the table and rubbing my sweaty palms against my pants.

As soon as she turned the corner, my heart started pounding at the sight of the short girl walking towards me. She waved and smile slightly at me, taking her seat across from me. I caught Shawn glancing towards us as he walked to the opposite side of the cafeteria and taking a seat with a window to Annette. I scooted in front of her, closing off the smiling girl from his vision. Tammy waved goodbye as she walked to the office with her bag, causing the two of us to wave back before staring at each other again.

Annette smiled at me and started the conversation, "How was your Thanksgiving break?"

I answered, acting like we hadn't talked the entire time we were out of school, "It was okay, I was missing a certain red head. How was yours, little lady?"

She blushed and looked at the table, her shyness showing, "It was good. I was counting down the hours till I got to see you again," she said quietly.

I chuckled and grabbed her hand, putting a finger under her chin and making her look at me, "Don't get all shy on me now."

She blushed brighter and smiled at me, making my breathing pick up. I brushed my leg against her like I usually did and continued the conversation, bringing up Christmas. Her eyes brightened at the word and she immediately launched into a description of Christmas in her house.

"My mom goes all out every year. We change soaps, shower curtains, towels, decorations, all that stuff. My sister and I aren't her maids for a few weeks, we're her elves instead," she laughed at herself and continued, "Our tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving and stays up until a week into January. I bake all the time and my mom doesn't talk about all the sugar in food we eat. We watch nothing but Christmas movies and dance to Christmas songs all the time. I'm sorry, I got excited. Am I boring you?"

I quickly shook my head, "No darling. It's cute how excited you are about Christmas. Please continue what you were saying."

She smiled at me and kept talking about her house and her mom, taking more pieces of my heart with every word. I laughed when she made jokes and just took in her features while she acted shy. The brown eyes, blue glasses, red hair that she insisted on straightening instead of leaving it in the curls I love, sweet quiet voice, and tiny hands that waved around while she told stories of past Christmases.

The bell suddenly rang and she blushed and apologized, "I'm so sorry. I guess I talked to much today, I didn't even let you speak."

I hugged her shoulders from behind and chuckled, "Don't worry about it. All I want to do is listen to your voice all day."

I could feel the heat radiating from her red cheeks as I let go of her outside my class. I waved goodbye and watched as she skipped away happily, being a guy and staring at her butt. I slipped into the classroom and took out my phone, sending her a text.

(Me) Loved the view of you skipping away, little lady. I'm glad that you were so happy.

She immediately texted back, making me imagine her sitting in her class and blushing at her phone and feeling courageous from behind a screen and not in front of me.

(My Annette) Glad you liked it, hope to make it a habit.

(Me) Skipping away from my arms?

(My Annette) No... Showing off what I was born with.

I widened my eyes at her answer and chuckled, slipping my phone in my pocket and returning my attention to the teacher for the end of her lecture. The bell rang and I walked slowly to math, catching a glimpse of Annie as she walked by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I jumped out of my seat as the bell rang, slipping my calculator into my bag and running out the door. My eyes landed on Annette as I searched the crowd. I pushed through the packed people and stopped beside her, tapping her on the shoulder and smiling down at her deep brown eyes. Her smile widened and we walked together through the crowd, my hand on her elbow in case she tripped. We talked about our last class as I reached my exit. I hugged her tightly and whispered in her ear, "Don't forget to wait for my text."

She smiled and nodded, waving goodbye and turning to walk down another hallway to the front of the school. I immediately pulled my phone and texted her.

(Me) Miss you already!

I slipped my phone back into my pocket and walked to my mom's car, slipping into the passenger's seat just as my phone vibrated.

(My Annette) Of course you do, have you seen what I look like? Jk, miss you too!

I chuckled and put my phone in my bag, turning to my mom, "Hey, mom... I have a question."

My mother smiled at me and nodded, "Okay, love. What's your question?"

"Would it be okay if I dated a freshman?"

She immediately shook her head, "No you may not. You can not date anyone younger than you."

My heart immediately fell and my smile disappeared, I looked out the window and nodded, signaling that I understood and the conversation was over.