Epilogue

The days passed and news traveled to David of Annette's passing. He cried for days, knowing he would never be able to see that little red headed girl he had loved. Marie found out about the cheating that had occurred over the Summer, the information pushing her to leave but her love for David winning against her better judgment. She managed to take care of him, even appearing at Annette's funeral with him.

The rain poured down that day, drenching anyone without an umbrella, including David. Tears ran down everyone's cheeks as they stared at the dark coffin being lowered down into the plot.

No one spoke, the silence being broken when David stood and hugged Annette's mother, quietly whispering in her ear, "I loved your daughter very much. I'm sorry I caused her so much pain. I should've chose her, I see my mistake now and its to late. I'm so sorry."

He walked away crying, trying not to draw to much attention to himself. Small arms wrapped around his waist, causing his breathing to pick up, "Annette..."

Looking down, his breathing returned to normal at the appearance of his actual girlfriend. His grief overcame him and he fell to his knees, crying into his hands. The mud covered his legs thoroughly and the rain poured harder, leaving his tears masked.

It took many years but David slowly began to recover. Marie never left his side, giving them the chance to have a beautiful life together. David took their three kids to visit Annette once a month, visiting once a week by himself. He told her everything, trying to stay strong and live his life like she would've wanted.

As David enter his 80s, the doctor diagnosed him with Stage IV lung cancer, giving him only a month to live. He visited Annette almost everyday, refusing to cry around family. Marie never left his side, smiling when their kids and grandchildren came to visit.

David lay dying on their shared bed, smiling as his vision all but disappeared and breathing became to hard. He gripped Marie's hand tightly and with his last breath called for Annette, knowing he would see her.