Prologue

As he surveyed the full cafeteria from his seat, David caught his eye on the red curly headed short girl who had been sitting at his table for almost a month now. He quickly looked down as she walked towards the table alone, clutching a book to her chest. His head snapped up as he heard a soft melodic voice.

    "Is it okay if I sit here?"

    David quickly nodded and gestured at the seat across from him, hearing his deep voice radiate to her ears, "Of course," he glanced around for the idiot who called himself her boyfriend and quickly looked into her deep brown eyes again, "Where's Shawn?"

    Pain shot through her eyes and she looked at her hands, "We broke up."

    "What's your name anyways?" he quickly asked, wanting to see her smile.

    She looked up at him and answered, "Annette, but you can call me Annie, and yours?"

    He smiled at her and stretched his long legs out, "David. It's nice to meet you, Annette."

    Her smile made his heart skip a beat as she put her book in her bag to give him her full attention, "It's nice to meet you too, David."

    "So where's the blonde?"

    "Oh, Tammy? I think she's sick, but she might just be skipping again." Annette quietly states.

    David chuckles and hands her his phone, "Put your number in and follow yourself on Instagram. I don't know how guys aren't jumping to talk to you now that you're single, Shawn was stupid to let you go."

    Annette blushed deeply and shook her head while looking at his phone, "I don't talk to people."

    "Well you're talking to me aren't you?" David smirks and accepts his phone back, watching her stare at the table and fiddle with her fingers.

    She nods slowly, "It just seems easy to talk to you."

    He smiled at her words and nodded, touching her small foot with his large one. They talked for the rest of the half hour lunch, David trying not to bring up Shawn and Annette trying not to seem boring. Before they knew it, the bell had rang and they started walking back to class together, Annette taking the long way to talk to David longer. They wave goodbye to each other and Annette walks quickly back to class, David watching her until she turns the corner. The beginning of a heart wrenching relationship had just been formed.