Chapter 4: Recall

The bright lights were flashing in front of her eyes, each explosion comes with a different color, she hated them. Someone was waving at her from afar.
"Kaye! Kaye! Come on. You can' t spend the fourth of July alone in the car. Get out of there lazy butt!" said Camille as she knocked on Kaye's car window.
Kaye felt uncomfortable seeing the fireworks, the different colored explosives flashing in the night sky reminded her of that cursed box. A memory from the past, that's what she called everything that had happened after getting rid of that despicable cube of glass.

As she was walking with her friends to Jenna Zain's front door, a man wearing an all white suit asked "May I see your invitations?". After Gale handed over her invitations they were let in. It was grand, the house was decorated with yellow, blue, white and red streamers. The living room was twice the size of that of Yna's. It wasn't the first time that she went inside of Jenna's house but everytime she does, she marvelled at how big and glamorous it is.

Almost everyone in the neighborhood was invited, it was the party that everyone talked about for weeks.

"Happy Birthday Jenna!" All of them greeted together. "This party is totally the coolest so far." Camille added.

"Thanks girls. Glad you could make it, help yourselves ok. Drink, eat, do whatever you want. I just need to talk to the security, I heard they let someone uninvited in. Enjoy ok." Jenna responded.

"This fourth of July theme is really genius! I mean July fourth is her birthday but this is just over the top amazing. Did you guys see the fireworks outside?" Gale said excitedly, impressed at how her friend's party turned out.

"That's what money can do I guess. Her dad does own three restaurants." Camille responded.

The music was playing loud, Yna and Camille, with drinks in their hands were dancing, Gale was talking to another one of their old school mates. Kaye, with her huge cup of cola was sitting alone on a huge chair in the living room, she felt uneasy. Watching everyone dancing made her head spin. Suddenly, memories from that night flooded her head.

"We did that didn't we? We killed her. This is our fault!" Yna said with a frightful tone.

"No! We didn't wish for her to kill herself! She did that all on her own. This is not our fault!" Gale forcefully insisted.

Camille was shaking, trying to take off her blood stained dress. She could still remember how Celia looked at everyone while she slit her throat and her blood squirted on her sparkly blue dress. "She's dead. Celia's dead... What the actual hell just happened!" she screamed, still confused about what happened.

Kaye did not know what to do. For the first time, she doesn't know what to say to make things better, to console her friends. Everything happened so fast, first Celia was standing, smiling and suddenly she was lying on her own pool of blood. She was trying to think, trying to figure out what to do.
"The box. Where's the box? " she aked everyone.

They were staring at it. Afraid to touch it for too long. It's glow, something that made it look mysthical now made it seem something sinister and cursed. They were doubtful at what they were going to do next, still questioning if it was the right thing to do. Maybe it is, maybe it's not.

With their hands covered in dirt, they looked at each other. Kaye put the box inside the hole they dug up in the woods. It was deep, enough to make sure that nothing and no one would ever dig it up by accident. Altogether, they burried the mysterious thing, with it the memories of what just happened, of what they have done.

In their minds they knew that it was their fault that someone took their life. They weren't stupid, they knew that their wish to make Celia feel guilty was the reason for what she did. Indirectly, they were responsible.

As the box was completely covered up, hidden under dirt, they left, leaving behind the horror. Hopeful that someday everything would just fade away.