Chapter Three

"No way!" Sasuke rolled his eyes, sitting on the side of the road beside Emi, who was currently uncomfortably close to his face.

Not that he mentioned it.

Usually when girls got in his face it was because they were obsessed with him and were being really annoying. Emi's close proximity had nothing to do with his face though. She was only interested in what he was wearing.

"It's true," he said, tapping the headband on his head. Her brown eyes sparkled with interest, and she came even closer. Sasuke didn't even think she noticed the distance between them. Or rather, the lack of distance.

Actually, he didn't know why he was noticing it.

Strange.

"That's so cool! I never realized you were so strong!" She moved back, a large smile on her face.

"I'm so proud! When you go on cool missions you'll tell me, right?" She asked.

"I thought you wanted to be a baker not a ninja. Why so interested?" he asked, looking in her basket. She had been distracted by his new headband that she hadn't even offered anything.

"Well... Every kid in the village wants to be a ninja at some point. I just know it's not possible for me..." Her smile disappeared, and she looked down at her lap.

"Most people can make it. Even that one loser became a ninja. Naruto." She nodded.

"I heard. But... I'm weak... I can't really do anything. I'd just be wasting everyone's time... I would be completely worthless..." Her eyes watered, and she pinched the bridge of her nose, looking up.

"Hey, are you..." He trailed off as she shook her head furiously and gave him a weak smile.

Happy. She had to be happy. Even when her father wasn't around, she had to be happy and strong for him. Plus, she couldn't bother Sasuke with her feelings. She was sure he wouldn't want to hear her whine or complain anyway.

"I'm fine! Sorry to bring you down like that Sasuke!" She laughed awkwardly, and he frowned.

"Emi!" Emi looked up to see Sakura running up. Sasuke felt a strong urge to get up and leave, but he still hadn't gotten any bread.

"Sasuke, hold this please," Emi said, placing the sweet bread into his hand. He scowled.

"I don't like this kind..." He muttered.

"I know! But Sakura does, and she's definitely going to buy it if you touched it!" Sakura blushed, and looked away from Sasuke. Sasuke just sighed, standing up.

"When did I start working for you, stupid..." He was complaining, but he still handed the bread to Sakura.

"Did you bring money?" he asked.

"Uh... O-oh... N-no..." Sakura stammered.

"Then come back tomorrow," he said. Sakura nodded. A male voice was calling her name, but Sakura ignored it.

She didn't expect him to offer it up to Sakura, much less charge her in the way that she usually did. It made her really happy.

"Yay! Sasuke sold bread for me!" Emi smiled brightly as the dark haired boy nodded. She really felt like she was getting closer to him. Maybe at this point, she could even call him her friend...

Once again, the voice called Sakura's name, but it was ignored.

"Now I get a free one," He snatched the tuna one out of the basket, smirking and both females froze, along with the blond haired boy who had just run up.