Chapter VIII: Wasting Time

Start from the beginning

"I don't know... Can't we just watch some South Park or something?"

"Eh, whate- Hey! They got an NES in this place!" Ash bolted up and over to the TV. "Holy crap! It's got a cartridge in it too! Super Mario Bros... Wow, the original! This kicks ass!" He clapped his hands giddily.

Gary got up and peeked over Ash's shoulder. "It's got two controllers too!" Even he got a little excited.

"Well, I guess we don't need any TV then!" Ash jumped and fist pumped into the air.

"..... What are you doing?" Gary knit his eyebrows and looked at the floating boy.

"It's called a freeze frame, Gary. I do it all the time."

"You look like a moron."

"Wahh!" Ash yelped, falling out of the air.

The brunette laughed and extended a hand to help him up. "You're lucky you didn't hit the ceiling fan."

Ash took his hand, standing up, and unconsciously stared deep into those green eyes...

Until, at least, he realized things were getting awkward and released his hand, giving a cheeky smile and blushing.

The pair tried to sit on the couch, but jumped off almost instantaneously.

"I guess we tend to forget how horrible the sofa is," Gary giggled as the two sat on the floor.

The machine took an abnormally long time to turn on. Ash and Gary sat awkwardly about a foot away from each other on the floor, neither of them really speaking.

What if I ruined everything? Damn it, Gary! The brunette scolded himself.

What if I plugged the cartridge in wrong? Damn it, Nintendo console! Ash nervously twitched.

Sure enough, the black screen started up and displayed the original Super Mario Bros. title, and the Boyd cheered.

"Wow, it still works! That's amazing! You think someone left it here a long time ago?" Gary grinned.

"I don't know," Ash started, "but whoever left it here... Well, they must have been the last person that stayed here!" He laughed, pointing to a few cobwebs in the corners of the room.

"Haha. Alright, shall we get this started?" Gary waved the controller in the air.

"Huh?" The ravenette looked cluelessly at the controller for half a second, then laughed, pinking in the cheeks. "O-Oh! Yeah!" He laughed.

As they started playing the game, silly, nostalgic grins appeared on their faces.

"World 1-1, I choose you!" Ash pointed to the TV and shouted. Gary gave him a look, and he scratched the back of his neck. "Oops, sorry... Force of habit!"

"Hey, Ashy-Boy! Look, I can play the whole level with my eyes closed."

"Wow Gary, that's pretty good- Hey! don't leave me behind! You're gonna- Aw, you killed me, you ass!"

Gary giggled at Ash's playful anger.

"Sorry, Ashy-Boy. Guess you gotta be quicker!"

The two laughed and played until they got to World 5, and then realizes how long they had been playing for.

"Damn, it's already one o'clock. I'm hungry!" Ash's stomach made the infamous rumbling noise, and Gary knew it was time for some late lunch.