Chapter 32: The Bad Team and Confessions

Nate sighed deeply as he sat against the old barn. Vince’s eyes widened at a thought as he jumped up.

“You know it really is going to be weird when we’re all thirty. I mean, we’ll never forget this. By then, we’d probably laugh at this even though it’s serious now...” Vince paced back and forth beside the barn, defeated by silence. Jack just nodded and rolled his head back with boredom.

“Thanks for telling us that, Vince. You should’ve told us sooner.” Jack said with sarcasm and snide in his voice. He shook his head and chuckled, then looked down at the ground and thought for a minute about what Vince really said. It was true. When they would be thirty, fourteen years on from then, everything would all become a major memory – especially having Chuck’s death involved.

“I can’t wait to get home! It’s about time after everything that’s happened,” Jay remarked as he bit on a nail. The others all took in the comment and looked into the field curiously, waiting for a police car to come into view. On Jay’s right, Sarah sat with her legs stretched out between wheat steams and a few dead leaves.

She didn’t say anything or respond to his input. Instead, she just rested her head on his shoulder comfortably. Without any awkwardness, he let her. To them it felt like they had been friends forever, way before he had even met Chuck.

“They’ll be here soon. We shouldn’t worry th-“ Jack paused when he turned to see Sarah’s head on Jay’s shoulder. He looked dumbly at the two, although they thought nothing of it. He knew something was up and different, although he wasn’t quite sure how to approach it all.

“Yeah...” Jay replied, showing his straight teeth. He looked humble as he spoke, probably not realising it in front of the rest of them. Sarah shut her eyes for the next second, blocking everything out.

She blocked out the sound of Vince and Nate agreeing also, and blocked out the sound of the birds flying past and singing above from the tree tops. She blocked out everything like she never felt before. Everything was perfect - well, not everything, but she felt right where she needed to be. Of course, that was with Jay.

Everything fell silent for the next second or so. She continued to block everything out until she heard the sound of an engine nearby. She opened her eyes to see across the field on the small road was a tiny blue police car.

“They’re here!” Nate shouted as he tossed the weeds he picked behind his back. Sarah was no longer a recluse to the group when she opened her eyes. She jumped to her feet and off of Jay when she gaped at the car. At last, they would be home. She would be able to see her mother again and be back in her house where she could really have that toast she had been waiting for as well as her holiday.

“I can’t believe it! We’re actually going home!” Vince yelled out, galloping around the field like a horse in a race. Jay stood up beside Sarah and smiled. Her heart raced and pounded every time he did that. She smiled back and lowered her head to the ground.

“You still have the bags packed and all?” Nate turned to Jack, ignoring the way Vince danced crazily behind him. Jack nodded and threw it over his shoulder for the fifth time that day. They were all so very exhausted but a flash of relief came over them. They were rescued at last.

The police car finally came around a few curves and the upcoming bend, and came down to a halt to the cul-de-sac where the barn had been in front of.

“Get in, kids!” A voice yelled from the driver’s seat. From where they were standing, they could see the officer with long hair in the car. Jack zipped open his bag and pulled out some water to drink on his way to the car. His throat was dry and by now his voice was raspy.