Chapter 31: The Plan

The sky hard darkened to a deeper purple, almost like a washed out grey. The five of them continued to walk, step after step while finishing some food on the way as they walked. They continued to walk in a conservative line and the clouds dimmed the sky. The air had turned slightly fresh, with a current breeze throughout the wind. The sun had faded out behind the clouds that hovered over them, almost like it had lost its light.

“I think we may be close to home, actually.” Jay spoke daringly although with a little uncertainty. He ran his tongue along his straight teeth and humbly walked behind Nate’s back. The others wanted to fight the doubt too, but they weren’t even sure where they were at all. They all followed Nate obediently, not responding to any remarks. They were almost stressed out although in a way they felt there was nothing left to lose except themselves.

“We don’t know what to except. I never thought we’d be here for more than a day.” Nate sniggered with authority. His voice was low and almost scratchy. Sarah shifted uneasily, only giving him half his attention. She was still shocked that a dead body had brushed against her in the hole, not to mention the frightening moment when she actually fell in the hole. From behind Nate and Jay’s back, Sarah penetrated in between them and jogged to the front of their line. She stood with her back to them and pointed out into the distance.

“Look! We’re almost out of here, right?” She jumped on the spot crazily and earnestly gave them her attention. They all froze and immediately jolted forward to where Sarah had been standing. Sarah swallowed noisily and bit on a nail impatiently. A spine tickling sensation ran through her and for that sudden moment she felt relief and a pen of happiness. Maybe, just maybe this was their day.

“Oh yeah...I can’t see any more trees there, just grass.” Jack whispered as he stood solitarily. The others had started to run ahead of him with impatience. He stood recklessly for a moment longer and dashed past the lonely trees, following the others out of the campsite.

They all then stretched out in a line as there were no more trees ahead of them. Instead, a bare field had filled their view. Only a small barn had been placed in the middle with power poles beside it. Much further in the distance were a few little barn-looking cottages.

“We’re here...We’re out! W-We’re officially out!” Vince shouted with glee, jumping around with stupidity around Jack. His vision was still blurry. Although he could see the field, it looked as if it the ground had been shaded with a pencil, like he was in a piece of artwork. They all watched Vince and shook their heads responsibly and snidely. The others couldn’t believe he hadn’t complained about his glasses once after the last time.

“But where are we now?” Nate asked seriously, as if he depended on the others to know the answer. Sarah heaved in some of the fresh air and breathed it out with relief. She felt freedom at last and was proud to say they had made it out of the campsite – although she had no idea where they were now.

“I have no idea...” She said as she looked and walked through the field. Wheat stems stuck out from the grass. Some were tossed and some had just begun to grow. Jack stood still and walked in front of them all with gumption, trying to stand his ground. His hair flew all over the side of his face and fell in his eyes disturbingly. He pushed the hair out of his sight and flicked it back, revealing his eyes again.

“See that little barn over there?” He turned his head back over to the distance and was thankful a little sign beside this new unused barn was visible to the naked eye. He stretched his arm out and pointed a finger in its direction. The others nodded except for Vince who obediently halted in their tracks and squinted his eyes, although it was no use.

“I think it might say where we are. Let’s go see,” Jack fought the doubt he felt and took no time to consider it could’ve been something different. He ran to the sign, fighting against the wind. It travelled through his shirt and made it dance wildly, almost showing off his stomach. His hair flew in all directions and seethed through the wind.