Chapter Twenty-Two

"The Earth Shifter." He repeated still grinning.

"What's that?" Aaron asked him.

"Listen Aaron, right?" He started asking about his name and Aaron nodded.

"Me and all of the people living in here are the protectors of this island."

"From what? What are you protecting it from." I asked the question that was bothering me most since the first minute I've got here.

"It's the opposite really. We're protecting you from the island." He corrected then caught my confused face so he tried explaining more.

"This island used to exist under the water and it was the Earth Shifter's job to keep it down there. But a year ago the last Earth Shifter died and the Island came on the surface."

This explains the dead tiny sea creatures among the black sand.

"And what's wrong with that?" I asked.

"You don't get it yet? Their name is 'The Earth Shifters' so they shift the Earth back on it's orbit because when this island comes into the surface, the Earth strays away from the sun." He then stopped talking. I was starting to have a headache from all of this explanation.

"And you're saying that Amber is the Earth Shifter who should drown the island back again?" Aaron asked.

"Yes."

"But It's easy to do right?" I asked.

"Well, your powers don't actually work and you can't control the island unless you lack a little oxygen." He looked around the room but didn't look at me.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked seriously.

"Sorry, but there has to be a sacrifice."

"What?" At this moment a man entered the room and whispered something to the leader.

"I should go now, I'll have Tristan answer all of your questions." Then he stood up and walked away. That's a lot better, Tristan is hundred times nicer than this man.

Me and Aaron got out of the house. It was nearly midnight.

"You believe him?" I asked Aaron.

"Hmm." He nodded.

As crazy as it sounds, this was the only reasonable explanation for everything that was going on.

The night's cool breeze was really helping relief my stress. Although it was a lot colder than every night, I still like it.

Periwinkle was taking the shape of a baby penguin and his walk was so cute with these little, short legs.

We arrived at the tents. Me and Aaron sat with Lilly and Erik on the ground around the fire they've made. Professor Cyril joined us after some time. Me and Aaron explained everything to them.

"If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it." Erik told me.

"I don't know what I should do." I said.

"Amber, I'm not forcing you to do anything but I think it's what you should do." I looked at professor Cyril surprised.

"So you're telling me to go and kill myself just like that?"

"No, I didn't say that. We won't let you do it until we figure out a way to keep you safe." He explained his point.

"How?" I snapped. Everybody was making me the bad one because I was trying to keep myself alive.

"I don't know. But I'm sure we'll figure it out." He shrugged.

I kept staring at the fire. Talking. That was all the leader and professor Cyril were doing. They didn't notice that it was my life the one they were talking about.

"Hi." They all looked up at Tristan but I kept looking back at the fire. Smoothing the brown fur of Periwinkle next to me.

"I'm gonna miss you, Amber." He said as if it was something he was used to tell every 'Earth Shifter'.

"I'm not doing it." I threw it simply like that then went inside, Periwinkle following me. I held him close to me hugging him tightly.

"What was I supposed to do?" I asked the fluffy bear and looked at him. He jumped next to me and curled at my side to sleep....