I should try a dip at the pool. Baka ma-destress ako. I started packing up the essentials and rode the elevator down to the 7th floor where the pool is located.

Ipinatong ko ang mga gamit at towel ko sa lounge chair na bakante. Ramdam ko ang malamig na simoy ng hangin dahil exposed sa labas ang pool area. I scanned the pool and realized it was quarter the size of an Olympic pool. Not bad, I'm here to swim for pleasure lang naman.

It's still 5:35 PM but the sky is already dark. Mula sa kinatatayuan ko ay kita ko ang mga nagniningning na ilaw mula sa ibang skyscrapers maski sa mga kotse sa hi-way.

"Ang lalim naman ng iniisip mo."

I eventually lost my trance and looked at the source of the voice.

"Sir Neil." I managed a smile and he returned it. Nakaupo siya sa katabing lounge chair. He is wearing a loose white button-down polo and khaki shorts. "Kanina ka pa ba nandito?"

"Yes, whenever I am here I tend to be relaxed. My PhD paper is stressing me." He chuckled. "How about you? It's kinda cold for a swim tonight, ah?"

"Like you... I want to relax. My mind is clouded with anxiety." I started removing my cardigan and shorts leaving me in my two-piece swimsuit. Lumakad ako papunta sa tabi ng pool at saka umupo. The lower half of my legs are submerged in the water.

Umupo rin sa tabi ko si Sir. "Ikaw, Sir, hindi ka ba lalangoy?" tanong ko sa kanya.

He grinned. "I went here just for the view and breeze. I only swim here during the morning."

"Eh bakit hindi ka doon sa rooftop, Sir?"

"I am afraid of heights." He chuckled. "Now you are here I want to have a dip, too. Kaso I did not bring extra clothes or a towel at the very least."

"I'll just lend you mine. I brought an extra smaller towel just in case. I can use that one just to dry my hair," I offered.

Gladly, he accepted it. "Sige, sure!" He unbuttoned his polo and threw it back to his chair. Tumalon na siya sa pool at humarap sa akin. "Come on!" The water surface only reached the top of his chest but because the bottom of the pool has lights, I can see his well-defined abs.

He offered his hands to guide me down to the pool as I leaped. Mas naramdaman ko ang lamig ngayon na nakalubog ang katawan ko sa tubig. My teeth began to chatter.

"Sabi ko naman sa'yo malamig talaga eh," aniya sa gitna ng paghalakhak niya, "try swimming na para hindi mo masyadong maramdaman yung lamig."

I followed his advice and he swam by my side. I cannot remember how many times we reached the ends of the pool because we were having fun. I got to know him more because he told me some of his childhood memories and his recent encounters.

Nang makaramdam ako ng pagod, umupo muna kami sa hagdan sa pool. "Ang saya mo kasama," pag-amin ko sa kanya.

"Thank you for listening to me. I know my stories sound ridiculous." Napayuko siya nang bahagya at napahawak sa batok.

"Yes, but they were fun!"

"By the way, where's couz?"

"I don't know. He did not leave a message even."

"Pasaway talaga. Hindi pa rin nagbabago. Di rin 'yan pala-update kay Fra-"

"Who?" Fra who?

I felt he was surprised by what almost came from his mouth. "Ah, wala, wala hehe." I arched my eyebrow. "What I mean is kay Francis, one of our barkadas."

"I see. So ganyan na pala talaga siya. I hope he'll change that. Now he has a wife."

"Give him time to adjust, Cheska. By the way, it's almost 8:00 na pala. Ahon na tayo," yayá niya.

I patted my swimsuit with the small towel and put on my clothes while Sir squeezed the water out of his shorts. He was giving me some trivias about Philippine history while waiting for the elevator to ascend dahil nanggaling pa itong ground floor.

Few seconds later bumukas ang elevator at tumambad sa amin si RR na may hawak na groceries. Palipat-lipat ang tingin niya sa aming dalawa ni Sir Neil.

Noong una walang salita na lumabas sa bibig ko pero nagawa ko ring sabihin na "Saktong nasa pool area din -"

He cut me off, "Hindi ba kayo papasok sa loob? Or pwede rin sa susunod na lang kayo." He pressed a button which I think is the Close one. The doors began to close but Sir Neil blocked his hand in the middle.

"Cheska, pumasok ka na." I did and he followed. Napapagitnaan ako ni RR at ni Sir Neil. Sir pressed 40 among the many buttons.

I saw RR's jaw clenched. "Neil, ano 'to?" His voice was deeper than his natural tone.

"I went down lang for a swim-" depensa ko.

"I am not asking you, Cheska."

"Kanina pa ako sa pool area, pinsan. She just happened to went down for a swim and I joined her. Is there anything wrong about it?" paliwanag ni Sir Neil.

"Totoo ba yung sinabi niya, Cheska?" His tone was scary.

"Y-yes," I stammered out of nervousness. I know there is nothing to be nervous about but I cannot help it due to his tone.

"Be nice to her," singit ni Sir Neil. "You do not update her nga eh."

This time napatingin naman sa akin si RR at saka kay Sir. "Mind your own business," mariin niyang sabi.

"I just don't want you to take her for granted. You have no idea the loss it will be." Sakto pagkatapos niyang sabihin ito ay bumukas ang pinto ng elevator sa 40th floor. "Good night, Cheska, see you at school na lang." He smiled at me and when he turned to RR his face became stoic. He nodded and RR did in return.

The doors of the elevator closed. What seemed to be a few seconds felt like eternity with RR inside. Even though I am not looking at him, I can feel his stare is burning through my soul.

Finally we stepped out of the elevator. I quietly followed him to our unit. I can only hear his keys rattling inside his pocket and our footsteps.

Pagkapasok sa loob, inilabas niya agad ang mga binili niya sa kusina. "RR... I just really went there to swim not knowing na andoon si Sir Neil."

Tumigil siya sa ginagawa niya at humarap sa akin. "I thought we'll try to work this out pero ba't nakikipaglandian ka pa sa pinsan ko?"

"Hey! I'm not flirting with him! We were just talking" I protested.

"Admit it, you enjoyed his company. Right?" he goaded.

"Yes, I did but that's just it. Masama bang kumausap ako ng iba?"

"'Di naman pero paano kung mapunta sa iba?"

"We're just friends. Promise." I raised my hand to do a promise gesture. "At ikaw, can you please update me?" I pointed my index finger to him.

"I just went to the grocery store to buy stocks for next week." Inangat niya ang mga eco-bags at saka tinuloy ang paglabas ng mga pinamili niya. "Natagalan lang din ako dahil traffic."

I watched him while being fascinated that a guy like him knows how to do this kind of stuff.

"Don't just stand there. Tulungan mo ko dito." Ugh, nautusan pa ako.

"Just put the powdered ones there in the container," he instructed as he pointed towards five empty glass jars on the counter, "pagkatapos kung may homeworks ka man gawin mo na while I prepare our dinner."

After which, I brought my laptop to the living room to start typing my reflection paper. After constructing a few sentences, I got distracted by the aroma of his cooking which wafted from the kitchen.

Biglang natuon ang senses ko sa kanya habang pinagmamasdan siyang magluto mula sa pwesto ko. His arm muscles flex while holding the pan and mixing with the spatula.

"Don't stare at me! Do your assignment!" I scrambled at my seat and almost dropped my laptop.

"I'm not staring at you! Ang bango lang kasi ng ulam mo!" I shouted in response.

"You use nose to smell, Cheska." And he let out a hearty laugh.