Chapter 14

Rather painful turned out to be an understatement.

Quain had wrapped my hand in a strange cocoon of bandages which smelled like a mixture of manure and bees wax. I decided it was best not to ask what the bandages were made of. In some cases ignorance is indeed bliss.

Once it was wrapped and my fingers had been set, I was told to leave it wrapped for the rest of the night and I could come back in the morning to have it removed. The pain became unbearable and so Quain had given me a draught of something. It tasted like chamomile but gave me a head rush as my pain disappeared. Drake and Kalen helped me back to my room. The journey back was hazy but I do have memories of singing Hotel California at the top of my voice. The guys hadn't joined in and I have a feeling I yelled at them, telling them how disappointed I was that they didn't know such a classic song. I cringed remembering as I shouted the lyrics 'so I called up the Captain, please bring me my wine', at Drake who just looked amused at my erratic behaviour. After shooing them away I collapsed on my bed and knew nothing more.

The morning sun was now shining through my window and for the second time in a week I woke feeling like I was hung over. Rolling over, I lifted my hand above me. There was a slight throbbing in my hand but nothing compared to the pain I felt yesterday. The colour had returned to normal in what I could see of my fingertips and instinctively I tried to flex them. Nothing happened though since the bandages were wrapped so tight. An added bonus; my bed now smelt like bees wax and manure.

"Wonderful," I muttered sitting up. I bit back a scream upon seeing Drake and Eva sitting at my table.

"What the hell?' I breathed. "Are you guys trying to scare a girl to death?"

"You know, when you sleep, you sleep like the dead," Eva stated as she popped a piece of fruit in her mouth. The bruise on her face was gone and I stumbled over for a closer look amazed that it was gone.

"That poultice must have been amazing."

"It was. Quain is very talented." Her voice was light but lacked its usual cheeriness. Her eyes gazed upon me and I saw the guilt.

"How is your hand?" She asked softly.

I saw Drake's head turn towards us and I waved it around. "It's fine, doesn't even hurt anymore. As you said, that Quain is pretty talented."

"I'm so glad it's feeling better."

I saw her struggling to find the right words and I raised my good hand. "Don't say anything Eva. If the same thing happened, I would break my hand all over again. That guy was a prick and he deserved it, hell he deserved more but your brother stopped me before I could break my other hand."

A small smile tugged at Eva's lips and I grinned. "Don't ever say you're sorry Eva, you have nothing to apologise for. Now take me to the healer man, I want this damn thing off of me."

"Not yet, my Lady" Drake spoke. He pushed out a chair and gently pushed me into it. "Eat breakfast first. You will need your strength for this afternoon."

"Why? What's happening this afternoon?" I asked as I threw a grape in my mouth.

"A gathering shall occur to decide your fate for hitting Lieutenant Woodburn."

"What?" I stood up. "You know why I bloody hit him! The guy is a grade A jerk!"

"I know that my Lady but the Queen cannot let you get away with striking one of her guard. It would not sit well. Do not fear, you have friends ready to stand behind you."

Groaning I sat back down, covering my eyes. Great. I held up my hand, sensing Eva beginning to apologise. "What did I say Eva?"

"But you're going to get in trouble. I can simply tell the Queen -"