Chapter 10

The waiting was proving to be a form of torture all its own. Sitting in my room, my foot tapped anxiously on the floor as I waited for my summons.

It would appear the Queen liked to make her dinner guests wait. Something my stomach did not approve of. I hadn't received any more food than my fruit this morning and my stomach was beginning to rebel, demanding I find a kitchen and raid the fridge. Did Faeries even have fridges?

The sun had gone down about an hour ago and I only had a single candle burning in my room. A rap sounded on my door and a brownie appeared, looking annoyed. In its language it motioned for me to follow.

Standing up, I quickly checked my reflection. I'd gone for a simple blue gown this time, the top half was a corset style so it appeared more formal than the comfortable green dress I'd worn today. My hair was done in a tight bun, tendrils falling to frame my face. Mom had always demanded I learn how to put my hair up properly, always saying you never know when you might need to look your best. It would seem mom was right once again.

I felt a momentary pang at the thought of her but put it to the back of my mind. I had other things to freak out about right now; like a private dinner with a powerful Faery Queen. I followed the brownie through the dark corridors, which looked more spooky than comforting at night. There were too many shadows for creatures to be hiding in. Looking out at the garden, I saw the Oak tree standing tall, a dark ominous shadow in the night. Somehow I felt like it was warning me of what was to become.

We stopped at a large door, intricate gold leaves covering the wooden frame. The brownie went in quickly, I waited for a moment, my stomach no longer empty but filled with nervous butterflies.

The brownie reappeared momentarily, hissing in a strangled voice. "You enter now."

Nodding, I braced myself, slipping on my mask of calm as I walked through the door.

I entered another grove, smaller than the last few I had been in. Candles floated above and I tried not to stare in wonder. Clenching my shaking hands, I looked to the table.

The Queen sat before me, still as a statue. Though her body was still, her eyes followed me as I moved across the room, curtseying before her. My knees thankfully didn't buckle this time and I think I managed to pull it off without looking too much like a complete moron.

A brownie scurried to pull out my chair and I sat opposite the Queen. I hesitated sitting when the brownie took their time pushing the chair in. Annoying little bugger. When I was finally seated, the Queen spoke.

"I hope you're hungry, Lady Laila I've asked the chef to prepare my favourite dish tonight."

"Yes, I am thank you Your Majesty. I am thankful of your offer for dinner. I'm hoping we can better acquainted."

The Queen raised her eyebrows. "Do you, now?"

I bit my tongue, screaming at myself internally for saying something so stupid. Now she'd be asking me to tea parties and sewing sessions and who knows what other boring girly things that I hated.

She was still waiting for a response and I floundered. "Ah, I mean since we will be family and all that soon, you know, I guess I thought it would be good if we got to know each other a bit better."

Internally I shouted once more. Real smooth Laila, you've just left yourself wide open for an attack. The Queen reached forward and took a sip of wine. "If it is that important to you perhaps we should make this dinner a regular occurrence. Would once a week suit you?"

She was asking me but I already knew I didn't have a choice. It was either agree with her or insult her by saying I'd rather stay in my room. Of course if I stayed in there the brownies would just let me starve.