Chp.2 - Blood, Sweat and Love

Arthur's POV

I paid no attention to Merlin that afternoon, as he gave me food and prepared me for bed.

I kissed her, and it was fantastic, no doubt. But I could never be with her could I? She's so odd. Maybe that's why I like her. My head was hurting at this point from all my racing thoughts.

I should really just be concentrating on the tournament, if my head was not with it then it will be on the floor. I wonder how well she would do? She was pretty good today. But I would never say that to her of course.

What are you going to do Arthur? I should leave this thinking till after the tournament. Yeah I'll do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*DAY OF TOURNAMENT*

Knights and travellers had been arriving from across the kingdom yesterday for today's tournament. I was a little nervous which is a bit odd for me. I usually don't get nervous.

"You think Amhrán will do well sire?", Merlin asked me.

"Keep your voice down! Idiot. I'm sure she'll be fine. Where is she?", I looked around from her pretty face.

"Aran Brestpride, at your service sire", Amhrán walked up to us and bowed a low bow and I nearly burst into laughter at her choice of surname. Breast Pride? I wonder if she'll get away with it.

"Pleasure's all mine Mr. Breastpride", I shook her hand a smile playing on her features.

"So what do you think?", she said in a manly voice and did a twirl. I chuckled. She looked great even as a man.

"Handsome, very handsome", she beamed a smile and I saw a blush rise to her cheeks. I loved when she blushed. Merlin gave Amhrán a knowing look of some sort and she whacked him hard across the shoulder. I laughed even though I didn't know what was going on.

"Hey, that hurt!", Merlin whined, I rolled my eyes.

"Don't be such a girl Merlin!", I sometimes wonder if there was any man in him at all! I saw Amhrán smile at the comment from the corner of my eye. She did have such a lovely smile.

The trumpets sounded, signalling the start of the tournament. I collected my thoughts, and walked forward. I saw my father sit himself in the King's chair, looking like a very fragile man. I don't now how much longer he will last.

Then the tournament began, me against a young squire. The poor boy looked really nervous, so I took it easy on him, still defeating him quickly. I couldn't even call it a proper fight! I walked off and watched all the other matches, Amhrán fought a knight which was a little unfair. But as the fight went on I began to think it was more of an unfair match to the Knight. Amhrán achived victory easily.

The rounds flew by and next thing you know it's the semi finals! I was fighting a tough looking knight who looked more braune than brain, I could trick him, that was my way of beating him. I saw that Amhrán was up against an African man who was a tough fighter and handy with a machete. I was...worried for her. I glanced over to see her eyeing upher apponent nervously. I walked over to her.

"You'll be fine", I whispered in her ear. She jumped with a fright before turning toward me a worried expression on her beautiful face. She gave a weak smile.

"You might not be saying that next round", she had a point but now I saw she needed assurance. The trumpets sounded signalling my match was about to begin.

"Good luck Arthur", she said, a genuine smile on her face. I returned her smile as I walked to the arena taking a deep breath, focusing my thoughts.