"Watching my toenails grow."

Shane chuckled and we made our way to our usual spot on the bleachers outside. Fresh air always made me feel better on days like these.

"So what are your plans for the weekend?" Shane asked while taking a huge, and I mean huge, bite into his ham sandwich. He ate like six meals a day.

"I don't know." Normally I'd spend time with Cashmere, my personal servant, at our shared guest house. After the whole Holly incident with Alex, my brother was very hesitant to trust the Omegas. But Cashmere had served me since birth and we were pretty close.

"Me neither."

"You aren't going to try out for soccer again?"

"Nah, soccer's passé."

Funny thing was Shane used to be popular. As the new kid in town last year and the last transfer after me, everyone wanted to be his friend. He was the starter for our soccer and baseball teams and was invited to every party Layla threw when her parents were out of town.

Then he started hanging out with me and it was like he became invisible to the whole school. He wasn't welcome at the cool kids table anymore and it didn't take long for him to quit all of the teams he'd signed up for.

Whenever I joked about his fall from grace, he brushed it off and said Layla and the others did something that made him see who they really were.

"You aren't going home this weekend?" Shane asked.

Shane also knew about Ares, to an extent. I always complained about him. He knew that my brother lived far away and that he didn't let me go home.

"Not yet. Still waiting for him to call me back." I answered and watched as he finished his first sandwich and moved on to his second. Shane was such a glutton.

He was about to take a bite when something behind me caught his eye.

"Incoming,"

Layla Pryde and the rest of the cheerleading squad were making their way towards us. Great.

"You need to move. This is our spot." She demanded like she was the queen of the school. I learned a long time ago to ignore her and not even bother with a waste of space like her.

"Since when?" Shane asked.

"Since I, the captain of the cheerleading squad, decided we need this space for practice." She crossed her pom poms over her chest. How ridiculous could she be right now?

"There's tons of space on the other side of the field," he shrugged. Shane was the only one who ever stood up to her. It was also a part of why I liked him.

"I want this side. I don't want to face the sun."

"Well I don't see your name on it."

Layla didn't like that.

"Why don't I go and get the principal and she can have this all sorted out." She took a step closer as if she could intimidate us.

"Go ahead."

The more unbothered he acted, the more frustrated she became.