☀︎1☀︎

September 4th, 1972.

Golden light seeped through a cracked door, shining on my face. It didn't matter though, I was already awake pondering for hours what First Grade would be like. It was a mix of excitement and anxiety, one that would brew in my head for the next few hours.

"Bowser, it's your big day! The first day of first grade!" My mom cheered, flashing the lights in my room.

I immediately woke up, bursting with energy. Unsure of what emotion to share, I chose the more optimistic one. "I'm so excited Mommy!" I smiled, giving her a large hug.

"Why don't you get dressed? I picked out a snazzy outfit for you." She laughed, handing me a ocean blue polo shirt, and dark black corduroy pants. "I think you'll impress the ladies with that outfit!" She teased.

"Mommy!" I articulated, beginning to change. My mother and I were extremely close. We had an inseparable bond, and would let nothing tear us apart.

I looked in the mirror and smirked at my clothes. "I look so cool!" I beamed, my mom chuckling behind me.

"Why don't you go get your book bag, and I'll pour you a bowl of cereal?" She asked. I nodded and skipped away, heading in the direction of my bag.

I picked it up, to notice several cards sticking out. "Mommy! I found my greeting cards!" I called to her.

"That's great honey! I'm sure your classmates will love them."

I carefully placed them inside of my back back. I zipped it shut, then entered the kitchen to devour a bowl of cereal.

After doing so, I went and looked in the mirror one last time. I was an outgoing and confident kid, but I wanted to make an incredible first impression for my new classmates. Pleased with my looks, I smiled, then strutted back to my mom.

"I'm ready!" I high-fived her, a wide grin spread across my face.

"Awesome Bowsey! I wish I was as cool as you, when I was little." She kindly chuckled, my heart warming at the phrase.

Birds began to lightly sing as we walked outside. I waited in the car while my mother locked the door. I let out a deep sigh, but knew I could conquer the butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

She slammed the car door shut as she clicked her seat belt into place. "Bowser, I know your excited about school, but there's something we need to talk about."

Oh no. Was I in trouble? I couldn't recall anything wrong I had done in the past few weeks. "What?" I asked, beginning to bite my nails.

"Don't worry, you're not in trouble."

I let out a deep sigh, all my worries fading away.

"It's about Daddy."

I rolled my eyes in disgust at the mention of his name. I prayed he would leave our family all together every night.

My father was an awful father. He thought that alcohol was the answer to everything, and he was usually so drunk that he acted like I didn't exist.

I loathed him with every part of my heart.

"Your father and I, well, we're thinking about getting divorced." She almost gleefully stated. I smiled back. We both wanted him out of our lives. He had caused so much harm to all of us already, that the thought of him leaving did nothing but cause me to smile.

"Now, I wanted to hear your opinion-" She began, but I semi-rudely cut her off,

"I want him gone." I mumbled, a small grin lightly smudged on my face.

"Oh, well, okay. You seem really confident about your decision." She replied, obviously taken aback with my phrase.

"I hate him." I whispered through gritted teeth. My mothers eyes widened. We both stayed silent for the rest of the car ride.

We finally pulled up to the elementary school. It was a large, red brick building, with a sign that read:

FIRE FLOWER ELEMENTARY.

My heart began to race faster as I hopped out of the navy blue car. My mother tuned to face me, and gave me a gentle kiss.

"One word of advice, Bowser, be yourself. Be outgoing, and try to make lots of new friends. These kids have all been here together since Kindergarten, so you're the new kid. So keep your chin up, and show them who's boss." She took my hand, and walked with me towards the front door.

"Are you ready, Bowser?" She asked, staring deeply into my magenta-colored eyes.

"I'm ready." I nodded my head in affirmation.

"I'm ready." I mumbled one last time to myself. I could do this.

My story began here.