Witchcraft

Merlin's POV

Ever since he had returned to Camelot Arthur had been like a different person. He never mentioned what he had said to him when he left ______. The words still echoed in his ears, "We are never to speak of what happened here. I shall see you in Camelot on the morrow." Arthur's words had been cold and not even an inch of emotion had shown in his face when he said them. He now looked out the window at this friend as he paraded around like he hadn't a care in the world. A group of ladies maids surrounding him with hopes that maybe they would be chosen to spend the night with him.

Merlin rolled his eyes as he tried to hide his anger. "What is it boy?" Gaius asks as he walks up beside him to follow his view. 

 "How could he act like nothing happened when I know it hurt him?"

 The elder man sighs as he says, "We all handle loss and heartbreak differently, and perhaps this is his way." 

"Well it's not right. I held her in my arms as she cried out as much as her body allowed her then she cried more."

 Gaius gently sets a hand on his apprentice's shoulder as he says, "He grieves in his own way Merlin. Believe me he does." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Have you not noticed how at every meal he eats not and that at night he never sleeps? Do you know why that is?" Merlin shakes his head and Gaius sighs as he says, "To put it frankly every time he closes his eyes he sees her face. He's acting like this to make everyone think that he is just fine. Well those of us who know what happened." 

"So just you and me?" the elder man nods as he turns and walks back into his workroom.

"Merlin!" He hears someone call out his name and turns to see Gwen running toward him a look of worry on her face. 

"What is it Gwen?" 

"It's ______ they found her and they are bringing her here now under the accusation of being a witch." Merlin's heart drops and Gaius drops whatever he was holding in his hands it makes a loud crash as it hits the ground. 

"Where are they?" Merlin says panic in his voice. 

"They are about to come through the castle gates now." Merlin rushes past her as he quickly tries to make his way to his friend and sister.

When he reaches the front steps he looks out to see the soldiers leading her up the steps. "______!" He says but she doesn't respond. Why wouldn't she look at him? Then it hit him she was trying to protect him. If he was to be seen talking with her he would also be taken into custody and then he would be in trouble as well. He watched in horror as the whole castle stared at her and made idle gossip under their breathes. He looked back at ______ to see that she wasn't letting anything get to her. Her eyes were fixed on the ground a look of defeat and surrender in them. What was he to do? Then it hit him and he turned to run to find Arthur.

Arthur's POV

Arthur glanced around at the women around him and tried his best not to imagine her face on their bodies. He regretted not fighting with her more about them never seeing each other again. He also knew that Merlin was angry with how he was acting now a days but he didn't care. The constant companionship of women and ale made him forget if only for a moment. Today was no different he would continue along this path until he finally forgot about her.

He was about to say something when he heard Merlin call his name making him sigh in annoyance. "My lord we have a problem," Merlin says when he reaches him. 

Arthur rolls his eyes as he turns toward his friend and says, "What is it?"

 "It's ______," 

Arthur clenches his jaw as he says, "I thought I told you not to mention her to me ever again." 

"I know and I wouldn't except she's here." 

Arthur's heart leaps in his chest and he says as he starts to walk past Merlin, "Why didn't you say so where is she?" 

Merlin grabs his friends arm as he says, "She's on her way to see you father, the soldiers brought her in just a few moments ago." Arthur's eyes widen as he realizes what was happening and he quickly made his way to his father's study with Merlin close behind him.

"Father why is _______ under arrest?" Arthur asks his father as he walks into his study. 

Uther lets out a sigh as he says, "Because she has been accused of Witchcraft, she is here for sentencing."

 "You cannot truly believe ______ is a witch can you?" 

Uther's eyes narrow at his son as he says, "There were talks of her being a witch while she was in the castle but I let that slide since you were so fond of her and she was an ideal servant. However now she has been accused a second time and I must treat this case with the utmost prejudice." Arthur could feel his anger boiling inside him. Before making a mistake he quickly turns but before he could leave he hears Uther say, "You are to stay away from her, no contact what so ever. Do you understand me?" 

Arthur's blood begins to boil with rage but he says, "I understand." Then he quickly makes his way to his room to somehow come up with a plan to save ______. He may have decided to forget her but he wasn't about to allow her to be executed.