His wife. Again, Sami wondered where she might be. Downstairs? Sami shook his head again, forcing those ridiculous thoughts to the back of his mind as he made his way down to get his food.

When he got to the kitchen, he hoped she would be there. And she was. Sami looked around at the tiled walls, trying his best not to glance her way again. Suddenly he hoped she wasn't there anymore.

"And my other friend is visiting Belgium with her sister," Her sweet voice drifted across the room and Sami felt something weird hearing it. "I don't know how she got her mum to approve of that. Mum barely trusts me going down the road to the corner shop!"

"Hareem!" Aunty Nasima said threateningly though there was amusement in her voice.

"What, it's true!" Hareem said with a giggle. Aunty Nasima ignored her and turned to Sami.

"Come, take your food before it gets cold," She said, handing him a plate. Sami nodded while he took his food as quickly as he could and ran up to his room. He closed the door behind him and placed the plate of food on his bedside drawer. Then he let out a sigh and cracked a small smile at his stupidity.

How could he be so shallow and superficial, getting all worked up over a girl after only seeing her once! Or twice, counting the encounter in the kitchen. But he'd only properly seen her once. Sure, she was pretty and she had a beautiful voice, but he knew nothing about her. She wore a hijab and long dresses but Sami didn't know what she was like. What if she wasn't as practicing as she looked? Judging by the girls of today, Sami wouldn't be too surprised.

But what she was saying sounded like she was a good girl. She also seemed to have a good relationship with her mother and they were comfortable enough to joke around. She seemed nice enough. But nothing could ever happen, Sami reminded himself.

Again, he shook the thoughts away as he pulled his legs up and placed the plate of food on his lap, digging into it. Aunty Nasima sure knew how to cook. Unless, it was her daughter, Hareem, who cooked this. Sami's thoughts drifted back to her and Sami chided himself again.

Then he realised that things in his new accommodation might have just gotten complicated.

***

Over the last couple of months, Radia had finally found a best friend. A real one this time. She knew this because she could start a conversation on whatsapp at any time she wanted, about whatever she wanted and she never felt uncomfortable. She never felt judged by Zayna, or any sort of discomfort.

The other great thing was that Zayna had the perfect balance of being practicing but fun too. Zayna was usually quiet and reserved with most people and she could easily have been mistaken for being completely innocent. But she had surprised Radia with her sense of humour and responses to Radia's jokes. Radia could never tease her other friends like she teased Zayna, and Zayna always gave back as good as she got.

It was a rainy day outside and Hannah was unwell so Zayna and Radia sat in the cafeteria without her. Hannah disliked the cafeteria and she would drag them out whatever the weather for a lunch she would find pleasing. It was the first time Radia met someone who loved food so much, but could barely finish her meals. Lucky for Hannah, she didn't need to try and stay slim like Radia did.

"I think I might be gaining a little bit of weight," Radia said, pinching her stomach under the table.

"Yeah, I saw you struggling to get through the door," Zayna replied.

"You're so lucky, you could just walk through the crack between the doors when they're closed," Radia responded with a smile. Zayna was small and skinny and though Radia thought her frame suited her very well, it was the only thing she found to pick on.