"What was that about?" I ask, laughing even harder at Lady Paula's frustrated look.

"Well it was mainly just because I could. Now that I'm a girl there isn't that rule about guys hitting girls. But it's also because I'm a bit jealous you look better than me," Kane says, and for a minute I think he's kidding. Lady Paula is flawless. I couldn't look better than her, even if I had a good hair day and a load of makeup. Then I notice the look of seriousness on Lady Paula's face, and I blush.

"Is Lady Paula ready for her debut?" I ask mockingly, saying the exact same thing Kane said to me before we departed for the Social Gathering. Lady Paula grins, and nods, holding her arm out for an escort.

Charlie takes her arm, and he bursts into another fit of laughter.

"Don't think for one minute I couldn't take you down, old man" Kane says. "Even looking like this."

Sir Whigham's face crinkles, and he laughs again. I can tell he feels much better, and I realize I do too. The idea of getting caught had made my stomach ache, but now I feel fine.

"You may be right, but I have a feeling those heels may be a deal breaker," He says, and Lady Paula huffs out a breath. We all step back out into the hall, and I step to the side, letting Lady Paula go in front of me.

"Ladies first," I whisper in her ear as she goes by, and she turns, sending me a quick glare. I just laugh, accepting Paul's arm when he offers it. I watch as Lady Paula wobbles unsteadily on her heels, but Sir Whigham helps her stay upright. I notice a lot of people watch her, men and women, all taking in the beauty. Nobody even glances at me. Paul pats my arm with his free hand, and he sends me a reassuring smile.

"They just don't know real beauty," He says, hinting at a double meaning. I nod, giving him a grateful smile. I imagine Paul behind bars, stripped of his oil covered apron and his utility belt. I almost did that to him, and I feel horrible for ever even considering it. There has to be another way to get to my family. Maybe I could borrow the UCP and visit them as Lady Paula. Paul would know me, but then again, I made a promise to myself. I won't lie to him again. If I go to see him again, I will go as myself.

We have already made it to the ballroom, and the path to the exit seems to be an impossible one. Everybody is dancing, crowding every inch of the space.

"May I have this dance?" Paul asks, raising his voice to be heard over the loud pop music blasting out of the speakers. I glance towards where the ensemble had been sitting, and notice they have left, their instruments packed and leaning against their chairs.

I nod, and let Paul lead the dance. Even though everyone around us is moving to the beat, Paul and I do more of a slow dance, neither of us comfortable with the dance everyone else is doing. I blush just watching the way some of the girls dance with their partners, and look back at Paul.

"Pau—Aaron," I correct, smiling. "You are a natural dancer."

Aaron grins, and twirls me around, only proving my point.

"They say it's all about who's leading, but I'd have to disagree," He says, pulling me closer so that we can talk easier. "I'd say it's all about the pretty girl the leader has the pleasure to dance with."

"Thank you, Aaron," I say. Paul may be one of Kane's nicest and most considerate men, and for that I am grateful. If I am going to stay with Kane and his clan, I'm going to need someone I can trust fully. Paul is a great candidate.

I feel a hand on my back, and I jump, turning around. I'm startled when I see Kane standing behind me. Not as Lady Paula, but as himself. I feel my heart stutter, and I look around nervously, hoping no one has seen him.